This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Growing up loving Romantic Comedies, we believe that we can have what our favourite characters have. These films give you expectations you never knew existed. A life full of love that is always magical and never sad. But, if you are sad without them, then don’t worry, because the one you truly love will come to your rescue – not with a lame text message, but with a house built just for you.  Here are some romantic comedy curses. 

Love at First Sight

Human connection can be hidden, but in some Romantic Comedies, it is there from the get-go. These characters don’t know who they are falling in love with, but they know they are willing to do anything for them. About Time (2013), a movie based on a man with the power to go back in time, uses this magical ability to continue meeting the love of his life until he gets it right. Domhnall Gleeson is determined to say the right thing to Rachel McAdams, no matter how many times he fails. Now, this may come across as stalking or being obsessive, but in Romantic Comedies, we know this is real love.

The Forgotten Friend

Baggage Claim (2013), Just Go With It (2011) and 13 Going on 30 (2004) all have the role of the ‘forgotten friend’ in common. The protagonists’ true love has been patiently waiting for their moment in the spotlight. We watch Adam Sandler pretend to be everything he isn’t just to end up with Jennifer Aniston, who helped him through it all. Paula Patton flies across the U.S, but her love of her life lives right next door. 

Sole Sex

Friends with Benefits (2011) and No Strings Attached (2011) promote hookups. Sex is the key to your lover’s heart, then you can get to know them later. Ashton Kutcher and Justin Timberlake fall head over heels for their sexual partners to the extent that Justin Timberlake chases down Mila Kunis at the train station and Natalie Portman drives in her maid-of-honour dress to confess her true love for Ashton Kutcher. These movies show how sex may be the tool for these romantic comedies, but in real life, sex is not always the beginning of something great. 

The Super Speech

The speech that wins you over. They tell you everything from how they want to change and how you’re the one for them. The epiphany is glorious, because it is raining, or maybe they just fought security. Either way, these speeches are unrealistic in today’s love scene. It is not about what they said, but the grand gesture that made the speech so powerful. Today, your partner wants you to jump through those literal hoops, you once thought were romantic and sweet. They want you to climb up the fire-escape like Richard Gere in Pretty Woman, dance and sing like Heath Ledger in 10 Things I Hate About You, and most importantly chase your taxi down on a busy bridge like Matthew McConaughey in How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days

Romantic Comedies are fun, and they give us hope, laughter and joy. But, these are purely warnings to not want to expect the unexpected. Just experience your true love story. 

Bachelor of Arts in Film, English & Media Studies I'm just a girl with the chance to write about beautiful places, people and other worldly phenomena (Desai, 2020) ?