This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Youth day commemorates not only the lives lost during the Soweto uprising, but reminds us of the power of the youth. We need to be inspired by the youth who rose up against an evil system, who courageously took the initiative, and unfairly lost their lives, for a cause that impacted the future of millions.

The 16th of June will mark 44 years since the Soweto uprising when thousands of South African students protested against the Apartheid regime for their right to a fair education.  The students mobilised to protest the introduction of Afrikaans in their schools as a result of the discriminatory Bantu Education System. This racist policy was determined to oppress and disenfranchise young Black learners, but South African youths were not complacent, nor did they wait for other organisations to address the violation of their right to education and dignity. The protests spread country wide and impacted South Africa and the anti-Apartheid movement as a whole. 

Our generation (the ‘born frees’), has been raised on the stories of South Africa’s painful past. Many South African youths have grown up in a system that is still actively working against them and have played a role in demanding the future they deserve. We have also grown up with information at our fingertips, which has given us the opportunity to cultivate an awareness of inequality and a connectedness to other youths demanding change. Our power should not be underestimated.  

When I think of the youth today, I think of #FeesMustFall. The nationwide student movement that called for equal access to institutions of higher learning for disadvantaged young South Africans. The pressure placed on government resulted in thousands of South Africans gaining access to higher education and ignited an important conversation regarding the decolonisation of previously white institutions. 

When I think of the youth today, I think of climate change activists, who are fighting for the future of our planet. While politicians and world leaders remain silent and passive, the youth have been actively raising awareness, campaigning, bringing the message of the destruction of our planet and future to global attention. 

South African womxn and femme bodies are tired of living in fear for their lives. South African youth deserve a future, and country, that value the lives of womxn and femme bodies. For too long the voices of womxn have been ignored.  But womxn have continued to fight, march and demand their rights. More recently, the Total Shutdown Movement and campaigns after our own fellow UCT student, Uyinene Mrwetyana, was tragically raped and murdered, have once again demonstrated the power of youth calling for real action against this apparent reality of gender-based violence. Through nation-wide protests we mourned the “a war on women” and raised important discussions around intersectional feminism, patriarchy and consent.

Currently, we find ourselves living through a global pandemic of COVID-19. Our future, and the future of our world, is uncertain. COVID-19 has exposed the fundamental imbalances in our society. Disparities have become clear, to the point where they can no longer be ignored. Students are met with new challenges and old ones. Online learning has become a necessity, but remains inaccessible for so many.

And yet, the youth’s track record for demanding justice has shown through, whether it be by offering compassion and a voice to their peers who are struggling, donating money to worthwhile causes, drawing attention to the police brutality occurring abroad and at home, or creating and sharing activist content. I trust in those around me to continue to stand up for change and fight for our future. The power of the youth should never be underestimated – it is up to us to create a country, world and future that is equal, to mould a new world order, that works for all and not for the privileged few. 

Aleya is a first year student at UCT currently completing her undergraduate degree with majors in Politics, Psychology and Law. She is an intersectional feminist and avid follower of current affairs with big dreams of making the world a better place.