tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

My Favourite Coming of Age Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

I love a good coming-of-age film. There is something relatable and comforting in seeing characters on screen process the same anxieties and pressures that many of us are currently experiencing. A great coming-of-age film can also showcase experiences you may not relate to but completely empathize with.

I don’t know if this is a flex or if it just hints that I need to go outside and touch some grass, but I have undoubtedly watched every coming-of-age film. I have seen some great ones and I have also seen some… not so great ones. Due to my mild obsession with this film genre, I thought I’d share some of my absolute favourites and explain what makes these films worth a watch.

Waves

Directed by Trey Edward Shults

What Is It About?

The best way to describe Waves is by breaking down its title. It explores how one decision creates a ripple effect that impacts our lives as well as the lives of those around us. Tyler faces a sports injury that destroys his career and college prospects; subsequently, it takes a toll on his mental health. That’s all I can say without revealing too much. The turn that this movie takes has blindsided me. This film will break your heart and neatly put it back together again by the end. Waves is a conversation starter—an important one too.

Cinematography

I tend to compare the cinematography of this film to season 1 of Euphoria. In fact, this movie reminds me of Euphoria in so many ways (without the sex scenes and nudity and all). The lighting in the film acts as a narrative device of its own. From warm oranges to purple hues, the lighting elevates each moment while showing the emotional state of each character. The camera angles and movements can either make you feel closer to the characters or detached from them, wondering what they could possibly be feeling at that moment. Every stylistic choice is intentional.

Score/Soundtrack

The soundtrack of this film is 10/10. Waves features songs that you would usually expect to be found on a teenager’s Spotify, ranging from Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar to Frank Ocean and H.E.R. Again, the soundtrack acts as a narrative device. The music each character listens to reflects their state of mind at that moment. I love how the film uses music that feels so current and relevant to our generation. The characters often listen to Frank Ocean’s “Blonde” album. I thought this was such a great touch because “Blonde” became a coming-of-age soundtrack for many people that I know, including myself.

Themes and Messages

The main takeaway from this movie is that mental health struggles affect us all. When we choose to ignore the warning signs that lead to someone’s self-destructive patterns, those actions have a ripple effect that could end up being catastrophic. This film also sparks conversations about male mental health struggles and the generational trauma and pressure that leads to the destructive behaviour we associate with toxic masculinity. Waves explores complicated family dynamics and the effects of toxic relationships, but also the beauty of healthy ones.

Thirteen

Directed by Catherine Hardwicke

What is it about?

I don’t even know where to start with this one. This movie is… a lot. It starts out as a typical “the underdog wants to fit in” story, following a thirteen-year-old Tracy as she befriends the most popular girl in school, Evie. Evie turns out to be a bad influence on her and Tracy’s new world begins to take a toll on her. This movie felt like a fever dream in the best way possible. Thirteen walked so that Euphoria could run. I remember watching this movie and thinking “These girls are out here stealing, having sex, and doing drugs at only thirteen years old?” When I was thirteen, I was still wearing leopard print leggings and subjecting my family to falsetto concerts in the living room. Although I couldn’t relate to doing all those things when at such a young age, I do feel like it is a reality for many others. I also love how this movie explores the world through the eyes of a teenage girl. It’s refreshing to watch a movie about female experiences that are written and directed by women themselves. This film does not come across as male gazey, and it doesn’t feel exploitative. Instead, it tells a captivating story that might feel a little chaotic at first, but super profound towards the end.

Cinematography

This film is graded with tones of blue and grey which really adds to the whole ‘angsty teenager’ mood that it portrays. This stylistic choice was excellent because avoids glamorizing these actions. The film makes it obvious that this behaviour is dangerous and self-destructive, and the grading creates a dark and sinister undertone that makes its message clear.

Score/Soundtrack

Thirteen is truly a product of its time in the best way possible. If you love early 2000s alternative rock, this film is for you. The inclusion of bands such as Imperial Teen is a perfect fit for this film. There are also some lesser-known artists that I discovered while watching Thirteen, so I’d definitely recommend having your Shazam app open while watching it to discover some underground gems.

Themes and Messages

I really love how this movie captured the rebellious spirit of teenage girls without reducing their actions to their “girl hormones”. It captures the problem that many of us face growing up, wanting to fit in. Adolescence comes with a wave of insecurities that many of us are not prepared to deal with. Tracy simply wants to fit in with a group of girls that are trying to do the same thing. I really enjoyed watching a coming-of-age story that is centered around young women as our experiences are often completely different to those of our male counterparts. Thirteen explores the harmful effects of toxic friendships, peer pressure as well as the circumstances that drive many teenagers to rebel or “act out” in destructive ways. With so many young girls eager to grow up and engaging in behaviour that might not be appropriate for their age, this movie feels just as relevant in today’s social climate as it did in 2003.

Moonlight

Directed by barry jenkins

What Is It About?

If you haven’t watched Moonlight yet, it needs to be added to the top of your “to-watch” list, right now. Moonlight follows Chiron, a young African American man, and his journey in grappling with his identity and navigating his sexuality. Moonlight is told in three acts, showing how its protagonist navigates the conflicts in his life, and how these experiences shape him into the adult he becomes in the final act. This film is incredibly moving, as we follow the journey of a complex individual, experiencing multiple life-defining moments.

Cinematography

Moonlight has so many layers due to its outstanding cinematography. The lighting in the film is symbolic of its main themes. One of the most quoted lines from the film is: “In the moonlight, Black boys look blue.”. The lighting in the film hints back to this quote throughout its duration. There are many shots in which the main character is depicted in darker lighting and blue hues. I love that the lighting in this film is made to compliment the skin tones of Black people. It is another minor detail that becomes so important after watching this movie. Although we see this entire story through the eyes of Chiron, I think it’s significant that during crucial moments and conflicts in the film, we never see the protagonist’s face. Instead, the camera shows the back of his head. As close as we feel to the protagonist in this film, there are still some moments that are left to the imagination, and I think that detail is so smart.

Score/Soundtrack

In my opinion, the score in this film acts as an excellent juxtaposition tool. Moonlight takes place in a poor, drug-riddled neighbourhood. Usually, when a movie takes place in “the hood” or the so-called “ghettos” of American society, we expect to hear loud and often vulgar rap music blasting in the background. It seems like Moonlight is aware of this and its score mainly consists of classical music. This directly contrasts the environment that Chiron finds himself in. He walks down the streets of his neighbourhood with this beautiful symphony of violins and pianos playing as he does so. It’s a great way of symbolizing how Chiron is not defined by his circumstances nor is he defined by his environment.

Themes/Messages

This film does an amazing job of exploring the black male identity and navigating sexual identity. It shows that although our environment and circumstances may shape us in one way or another, we ultimately get to decide who we become. Moonlight explores masculinity and its various interpretations, pertaining particularly to black men. It also explores themes of love, loss, and self-acceptance. Its exploration of universal themes truly makes it one of the best films to be released in that last decade.

mid90s

directed by Jonah Hill

What Is It About?

Mid90s follows thirteen-year-old Stevie as he copes with his troubled home life by befriending a group of teenage skateboarders. This movie will have you laughing one minute and tearing up the next. It captures the joy and excitement of being young and carefree as well as the anxieties and the hardships that come with being a teenager. The storyline is not too complex, as it puts the complex emotions and motivations of its characters at the forefront instead. I think this is why this film is so close to my heart. The characters are nuanced and relatable. You will either see yourself in these characters or know someone like them.

Cinematography

The cinematography is amazing. Of course, this is an A24 film, so we expect nothing less, but I’m constantly amazed at how well Mid90s captures the era it portrays. Mid90s was shot with 16mm film, which is why it feels so authentic in portraying the era in which it is set.

Score/Soundtrack

This is one of my favourite aspects of the film. Scored by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross from Nine Inch Nails, this movie somehow finds the perfect song to capture each moment. I even have a Mid90s themed playlist. Featuring songs from the Pharcyde to Kurt Cobain’s cover of “Where Did You Sleep Last Night”, it is yet another way that the film immerses you in this era.

Themes and Messages

This movie does include some very backward ideas and blue humour, but the conversations we’re having today were not commonly held by teenagers in the 90s. The film in no way endorses this thinking and rather shows its absurdity. Although this might be off-putting for some people, it is just a minor aspect of the film. Mid90s is a great story about chosen family and the bond between friends, complicated family dynamics, teenage angst, and of course, skateboarding. I have watched this film so many times, with so many different people and it never gets old. Super underrated and truly a must-watch.

Although I could probably write a forty-page essay detailing every coming-of-age film I’ve ever enjoyed, these films remain on top of the list. I love this genre because it feels nostalgic. Coming-of-age films depict some of the most tumultuous and confusing periods in our lives and wraps it up in about ninety minutes. Representation matters and personally, I see a version of myself or the people around me in each of the films I’ve mentioned. Whether you’re procrastinating for an upcoming exam, or just enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon, I hope you enjoy watching these films as much as I have.

Hi there! My name is Kelly-Ann and I am an undergraduate student at the University of Cape Town, majoring in Film and Television studies. I am passionate about anything related to film, alternative rock music, and activism. When I'm not jotting down ideas for my next article, you can find me rewatching Bojack Horseman, curating a themed playlist, or rigorously following my skincare routine.