This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

August is officially here, which means that Plastic-Free July is officially over. Plastic-Free July is a global movement that brings awareness to global plastic pollution, and the excessive use of single-use plastics while suggesting ways that we can be a part of the solution.

After doing my first beach cleanup with The Beach Co-op (which I highly recommend you try, because, in addition to supporting a good cause, they are also a lot of fun), I got to see first-hand the impact that plastics have on the ocean. I realised that, in order to make a real change, we need to sustain the habits we learn during Plastic-Free July throughout the rest of the year too.

So, since we have reached the end of July, I thought I would share a few simple things I am going to try and maintain throughout the rest of the year – and I hope you will join me in them! Here are four (very) easy ways that beginners, like me, can start to make changes for the better.

Avoid the worst offenders

During his research on beach litter, Peter Ryan (director of the Percy FitzPatrick Institute of African Ornithology at UCT and the scientific advisor for The Beach Coop), noticed that the three most commonly found items are: chip packets, earbuds, and plastic bottles. Although they may seem like items that you can’t live without, we need to make a concerted effort to cut down our use and find other alternatives!

When it comes to earbuds, you don’t have to look too hard to find brands that replace the plastic stick with cotton (I get mine from Pick ‘n Pay), or paper. We have become far too thoughtless when it comes to purchasing bottled water whenever we feel a bit thirsty, using it once, and then tossing it away. Getting into the habit of carrying a reusable bottle (glass, or stainless steel) can save you a lot of money, as well as being kinder to the planet. I know that when you’ve been on campus for hours, and that craving for a packet of chips hits, it’s often hard to curb – I get you! Try to be mindful of your consumption, and maybe opt for a (healthier) snack that doesn’t involve so much single-use packaging.

Re-usable coffee cups

Recently, I’ve been walking around campus feeling absolutely appalled at the bins overflowing with disposable coffee cups. I mean, thousands of sleep-deprived students drinking coffee on campus every day – even without doing the math, that’s a lot of waste. Try to invest in a reusable coffee cup that you can carry around with you, for when that coffee craving hits, and you don’t have the time to sit down for a cuppa. Many cafes actually offer small discounts for bringing your own cup, so you will be saving yourself money too!

Always carry a tote bag

Let this be your mantra: always carry a tote bag! You really never know when it will come in handy, and it will save you from having to succumb to plastic bags on those impromptu grocery trips. Just leave one in your handbag or varsity bag, and you’re good to go – it doesn’t get easier than that!

Be aware of what you’re wearing

Did you know that just washing your clothes can contribute to polluting the ocean? According to Vox, about 60% of the material that makes up our clothes, word wide, is synthetic. These are materials such as polyester, nylon, and acrylic. Just from being washed, thousands of microfibers from these plastics are released into the ocean and contribute significantly to the pollution of our ocean basins. 

Be aware of the fabrics you are wearing and be aware of how often you are washing those fabrics. As far as possible, buy second-hand clothing, because it elongates the life-cycle of those garments, saves them from being tossed away and sent to landfills, and saves you from buying a new, fast-fashion piece that is (most probably) made from synthetic materials. Plus, thrifting is so much fun, and you’ll cultivate a totally unique look!

Nobody is perfect, our lives are all different, and we all trip up sometimes, but the aim is to try and be more aware, learn more, and be better in the ways that we can. I hope these tips can start you on your journey to do just that! To learn more ways to reduce your use of plastics in your life, take a look at the official Plastic-Free July website!

I am a third-year Multimedia Journalism student at UCT. I'm also the Chairperson and Correspondent of Her Campus UCT. Working with my amazing executive team, each day, makes me feel like I'm living out my childhood dream of being the Editor in Chief of a magazine! I'm passionate about sustainable development, with a particular focus on sustainable fashion, and I hope to be able to work in that innovative industry one day. I'm an advocate for slow living, and an ambitious introvert trying to find my way in the world. A dip in the ocean, or a walk in the mountain, are the two things that bring me the most peace.