This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

I’m sure, at some point, you have heard someone say: “I’m just going to drop out of uni and become a stripper,” when work gets a little too tough. Maybe you’ve even made a joke about wanting to become a sugar baby to earn some extra cash. The idea of sex work has definitely infiltrated mass media. Thanks to movies such as ‘Pretty Woman’ and ‘Magic Mike’, the idea has even become slightly romanticized. But, there is still a lot of stigma and shame surrounding the profession, which can be dangerous.

What is sex work? 

First off, you should always refer to sex work as sex work! Words such as ‘prostitution’ and ‘stripper’ are old-fashioned and offensive. Sex work is a broad and multi-faceted industry and includes everyone from adult film stars to dominatrixes. In simple terms, it is the transactional exchange of sexual activities between consenting adults for money. Despite it being the world’s oldest profession, it is highly stigmatized and scrutinized. Sex work is also not treated as work and, therefore, those in the industry receive little to no protection. In South Africa, it is technically illegal, making it almost impossible for sex workers to receive legal protection and support.

Why it should be decriminalized?

Sex work has been driven underground. Currently, sex workers are extremely vulnerable to abuse from police officers and liable to fines and criminal penalties. Decriminalization gives sex workers power. They are in a better position to negotiate with clients, they can report crimes to the police and get access to health care without stigmatization. If sex work is decriminalized, labour laws can be set in place too. Sex work would be treated the same as any other job, with workers even paying taxes. Unions become a possibility and safer working conditions and bodily autonomy become the norm. Decriminalization would also help decrease the stigma for both sex workers and clients, which is vital. Decriminalization can even help curb STIs, such as HIV, from being spread.

Sex work and the internet? 

Like most industries, sex work has been revolutionized by the internet. The internet helps connect clients to sex workers, such as the sugar baby site, ‘Seeking Arrangement’. Camming has been around for some time, but recently OnlyFans has taken the world by storm. OnlyFans is a content subscription service that has given sex workers a new platform. It is an option other than misogynistic and exploitative porn industries. OnlyFans has soared in popularity during the pandemic, even getting a shout out on a Megan Thee Stallion and Beyoncé song. It gives sex workers total power over their bodies, and they can operate from the safety of their homes, while interacting directly with their clients. While OnlyFans has become a bit of a joke on social media, it also has become a new avenue for men to slut-shame women for their choices. It’s ironic, but not surprising, that men are happy to watch porn but have an issue with women using a male-driven market, that was designed to work against them, to their advantage. OnlyFans is a great option for sex workers with access to technology, however for many this is not a possibility.

What is the reality for sex workers in South Africa? 

While sex work is still illegal in South Africa, sex workers are extremely vulnerable. Even more so as a result of the pandemic. Sex workers obviously receive no unemployment benefits or payouts, which is harmful and poverty inducing. As gender-based violence continues to plague our country, sex workers become extremely susceptible to acts of violence. During this lockdown, a sex worker named Elma Robyn Montsumi died while in police custody in Cape Town. This just shows that, without protection, sex workers will continue to be forced into dangerous situations that can have tragic consequences. 

Sex work can be an empowering and uplifting profession that gives women control and independence. Let’s work towards a sex positive society where women aren’t shamed for their choices and are protected. And remember, if your feminism doesn’t include sex workers, it’s not feminism. 

For more resources see SWEAT and ASIJIK.

Aleya is a first year student at UCT currently completing her undergraduate degree with majors in Politics, Psychology and Law. She is an intersectional feminist and avid follower of current affairs with big dreams of making the world a better place.