Introducing The African Way- A Coffee Shop With a Social Conscience!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

“We must learn to live the African Way. It’s the only way to live in freedom and with dignity.” – Thomas Sankara 

It was one of those gloomy Cape Town winter days when even four layers of clothing and a coat can’t protect you from the chill. On days like those, there is no better place to be than in a new, local coffee shop with a heater and a delicious blend of warm coffee. That was exactly the scene when I discovered The African Way and sat down with one of its founders, Devlin Sooful, to talk about how it came to be, and where it aims to go.  

Image by Stella Hertantyo

As soon as I stepped inside, I could sense that this coffee shop was different from the rest. The walls were painted a bright orange, and decorated with photographs, posters and historical artifacts from the South African struggle years. These were all sourced from family members and friends, creating a space for historical homage. The ceiling was lined with a string of flags – one from each of the 54 countries in Africa. The lighting was warm and welcoming, and in the background, the soulful sounds of Hugh Masekela welcomed me to the space. Devlin described it as “a space for engagement,” and even before we sat down to talk, he couldn’t have been more right. My senses were fully engaged: my eyes interacting with the history present on the walls, my ears feasting on the sounds of African musicians, and then I got to taste the coffee.

Image by Stella Hertantyo

Not only was the space impressive, but the coffee was too.  As I sipped my cappuccino, Devlin explained that the beans in the coffee I was drinking were sourced from Burundi. All of the beans used at The African Way are sourced from African countries. At the moment, the filter coffee is from Uganda, and the rest of the coffee is from Burundi. Devlin expanded that, “in Africa, coffee is a cash crop and it has become the dominant export in many African countries.” This means that they rely on a foreign market, which is often volatile, to support their economies. Despite coffee crops being the backbone of many African economies, the taste for coffee in Africa is not very prevalent. Devlin pointed out that even in countries like South Africa, where coffee culture is more popular, many coffee shops make use of South American beans. With this in mind, The African Way decided that they were going to do things differently. By serving only African coffees, they aim to create a more sustainable and stable domestic demand and cultivate a local appreciation for African coffee at the same time. Devlin exclaimed that, “African coffee is the best coffee in the world!” – and we need to start supporting that!

In addition to coffee, they also have a new drink on their menu, called “Mucuna”. In its pure form, it has been used in Africa for centuries in traditional medicine, but The African Way is the first coffee shop in Africa to sell it in the form of a drink. Sourced from a farm in Zimbabwe, it is a natural mood enhancer, and energy booster. It has an earthy taste that lies somewhere between tea and coffee and is a great alternative to caffeine! 

Image by Stella Hertantyo

The combination of great coffee and a thought-provoking space had me wondering how all of these aspects came together in such a harmonious combination. The name comes from a quote by Thomas Sankara (included above). “The quote informs how we do everything,” emphasised Devlin. He explained that it all started a few years ago with a movement he had founded at UCT, called the 16 June Movement. Devlin elaborated that the 16 June movement is an “organisation focused on uniting different sectors of society to take action to work for the betterment of Africa. It believes that the Struggle in South Africa and Africa in general is only over when we live in an Africa worthy of all that has been sacrificed for it.” The core team of the 16 June Movement – Devlin Sooful, Aleya Banwari, Thando Shabalala, Charis Sass and Dalziel Thuynsma – co-founded The African Way. Thus, The African Way has been created in the image of the 16 June Movement, and has become an “ideological headquarters” for their work. 

They share the space with Baobab Student Accommodation and African Ideas (a strategy and innovation consulting firm focused on Africa). These two businesses, each with their own social conscience, also co-own The African Way, alongside the 16 June Movement. As Devlin said, The African Way “aims to be a space where people can come together to discuss problems within Africa, and to engage with possible solutions.” A location that combines the collective visions of these three forward-thinking organisations, that are focused on empowering communities, is the perfect space to do just that!

As I was walking around, admiring the walls and sipping my coffee, the three founders that were present were busy folding cardboard popcorn boxes for that evening’s screening of “Lumumba” that they were hosting. “Lumumba” is a film which traverses the life and times of Congolese leader, Patrice Emery Lumumba. Devlin explained that the screening would be followed by a short discussion, which would encourage a thoughtful engagement with the film. In addition to its being a coffee shop by day, The African Way doubles as a space for hosting thought-provoking events after hours. “Anyone doing good in Africa can use the space to host an event,” asserted Devlin. This screening was not the first event hosted at The African Way. Around Youth Day, they hosted an event that aimed to create a dialogue around The Soweto Uprising, and how contemporary citizens can take action to honour the legacy of its victims. These events will be a regular feature of The African Way, as they align with its ethos and larger vision of inclusivity, engagement and positive social impact in Africa. 

Image by Stella Hertantyo 

At its core, The African Way’s mission is to create positive social change, which is echoed in the way that the business is structured. “It is run as a co-operative, which means that everyone that works at the coffee shop will receive a portion of the coffee shop’s monthly profits, proportional to the amount of labour they put in for the month,” elaborated Devlin. The rest of the profits will be used to set up further franchises, with coffee shops situated in different low-income communities (where community members will be employed). The inspired energy in the coffee shop was palpable, and the combination of this with the stories of the past collected on the walls, create the sense that The African Way is both reflection of Africa’s past and of its future. 

Image by Stella Hertantyo

I left feeling inspired by the vision and social conscience of The African Way, energized by the tantalizing  blend of Burundian coffee, and grateful for all the small business owners putting in the work to contribute to a better future in Africa. So, next time you are trying to think of a coffee shop where you can meet a friend or colleague, or maybe you are just over the dismal coffee offerings on campus, go and grab a cup at The African Way, and immerse yourself in a space that is working towards a better future. 

Until then, you can follow The African Way on Instagram to keep up to date!  

Location: 441 Main Rd, Observatory, Cape Town

I am a third-year Multimedia Journalism student at UCT. I'm also the Chairperson and Correspondent of Her Campus UCT. Working with my amazing executive team, each day, makes me feel like I'm living out my childhood dream of being the Editor in Chief of a magazine! I'm passionate about sustainable development, with a particular focus on sustainable fashion, and I hope to be able to work in that innovative industry one day. I'm an advocate for slow living, and an ambitious introvert trying to find my way in the world. A dip in the ocean, or a walk in the mountain, are the two things that bring me the most peace.