A portrait of Abdud-Dayyaan Badroodien
A portrait of Abdud-Dayyaan Badroodien
Photo by Siddeeqah Salie

Humxns of UCT – Abdud-Dayyaan Badroodien

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

What makes Her Campus UCT so special and unique from the other chapters is that our members, writers, and students are incredibly diverse. Each person has something beautiful and interesting about them – a story to share, a talent, or an outlook on life. We’d like to celebrate our diversity by zooming in on individual’s stories, speaking to them about what they’re most passionate about and letting them shine on our platform. Whether it be just for a chuckle or to actually share some wise words, we’d like to introduce a new series to Her Campus UCT: Humxns of UCT.

This Humxn is Abdud-Dayyaan Badroodien. Abdud-Dayyaan is pursuing a Master of Arts in Historical Studies and holds the prestigious History Access Fellowship (2020/’21) and National Research Foundation Master’s scholarship. Abdud-Dayyaan completed his Bachelor of Arts Honours degree in Historical Studies obtained from UCT. But he first pursued a Bachelor of Arts in Politics and Governance, History and French language and literature and was awarded the degree with distinction. During his undergraduate studies, Abdud-Dayyaan was placed on the Humanities Faculty’s Dean’s Merit List from 2016 to 2018. Also, the Historical Studies Department awarded him for being the best student in the third year course: African Intellectual History. Moreover, Abdud-Dayyaan received the Eric Axelson African History Book Prize in 2018 from the Faculty of Humanities and the Historical Studies Department.

Abdud-Dayyaan is a part of a UCT network of young aspiring South African historians in the distinguished History Access programme in the Department of Historical Studies. The programme pushes graduate students to rethink historical knowledge production and centre alternative and decolonised forms of knowledge in their academic research.

Besides his vested interest and distinctions in Historical Studies, he enjoys role-playing delegates from different countries in simulations of the United Nations committees.

Over the years, Abdud-Dayyaan has actively participated in different simulations of the United Nations known as Model UN to build his leadership capacity to solve issues that humanity faces. These included simulations hosted at the university level by the United Nations Association of South Africa UCT student chapter (UNASA-UCT) and UNASA Stellenbosch chapter. In 2018, he was a delegate of Kuwait and President of the Security Council Session at the World Federation of United Nations Associations International Model UN conference in New York. In 2019, he chaired the United Nations Development Program of the National Model UN hosted at the Department of International Relations and Cooperation.

One of the cherished experiences along Abdud-Dayyaan’s leadership journey is his work with high school learners as part of his involvement with UNASA-UCT. His intention to join and maintain his commitment to the student association was to primarily empower high school learners through Model UN and other initiatives. 

In 2016, Abdud-Dayyaan began his journey of working with high school learners as a School Model UN tutor in UNASA-UCT. In 2017, he became the South African School Model UN Director and the following year he became the School Programs Director in 2018. As the School Programs Director, he launched a pilot initiative called UN Clubs where high school pupils had the opportunity to attend skill-based workshops. This initiative also served as a safe space for pupils to frame solutions to issues that society and humanity at large faces today. Abdud-Dayyaan also co-directed with the Human Upliftment Project, an International Court of Justice program with three Cape Town high schools, culminating in a simulation at the UCT Moot Court at Middle Campus. In 2019, he served as the Chairperson of UNASA-UCT.

In 2018, he formed part of a policy amendment task team that aimed to bring forward a proposal to amend UCT’s policy with regards to the accommodation and recognition of various religious and cultural practices during examinations and assessments. As a Muslim student at the university, he believes that students who form part of minority religions should not experience discrimination because of their religious beliefs and practices. Hence, he decided to contribute to the team that focussed on this transformative and inclusive policy draft. The task team was successful as the university has acknowledged various religious holidays in its yearly academic calendar since 2019.

I spoke to Abdud-Dayyaan about his research interests, leadership and activism journey as well as his thoughts about ways the youth can help to move society forward.

What did you commit to building knowledge about as your master’s research topic? How did you decide on this topic?

Abdud-Dayyaan: I have always been interested in the longevity of colonialism, and its knowledge forms (coloniality) in current realities in “South Africa”. I am interested in the intersections between race, language and colonial power in 19th and 20th-century linguistic interventions in Southern Africa. 

My honours project explored these intersections in the racialised term “the Kafir language”. Today, terms such as “Kafir” and “Bantu” are widely seen as racial slurs. In the period studied, they were established colonial categories of languages like isiXhosa and isiZulu. Far from value-neutral, texts such as grammars and dictionaries of Southern African languages were sites of colonial discourse. The study of language thus played a key role in the spatial and linguistic ordering of colonial Africa. 

My master’s project builds on this work, focussing on the history of race and philology from the late 19th century to the emergence of formalised “linguistic science” in the 20th century. 

Multilinguality is one of your research interests. How did you conceptualise the constructs of language into your research and activism work?

Abdud-Dayyaan: Language has always been important in my life. Language is an expression of life. It is a space of coalescing identities, subjectivities and epistemologies. I am an avid language-learner and value the way language has fundamentally changed how I interact with the world. Multilinguality is more than the languages we speak. It includes “thinking” multilingually.

I chose my research focus based on my love of history and language, and the affinity that fellow scholars in the History Access programme have for the lens of multilinguality. Every Thursday, we attend weekly “isiXhosa for Historical Research” classes. The facilitators: Mandihlume Dotwana and Sanele kaNtshingana lead these classes. These are not conversation classes. Instead, we study how isiXhosa terms and concepts, found in works of 19th and 20th-century African intellectuals like S. E. K Mqhayi, William Wellington Gqoba and Nontsizi Mgqwetho have radical political, social and cultural meanings embedded within them. The sources of Southern African language are a rich archive that center the perspectives of the colonized. For me, language is crucial to the decolonization of knowledge in our unequal society.

How did you start engaging in initiatives that focus on advocacy? What has kept you motivated to continue being involved in initiatives that seek to better society?

Abdud-Dayyaan: I enjoy initiatives that center the power of youth and advocacy through education and knowledge-building is very important for me. I don’t think there was a “start”. But I have always been drawn to challenging problems around me through writing, public speaking, or otherwise. 

My favourite spaces have always included fellow youth, including university students or working with high school students. I am continually inspired by those around me, especially those younger than me. Being motivated to be involved is unquestionable because we live in a violent and broken society that calls us to be involved. The COVID-19 pandemic has only exacerbated inequities in our country from historical poverty and inequality to spatial apartheid, gender-based violence and femicide or the climate crisis. These issues are not new though and are actually structurally embedded in our past.

Quite recently it was reported that the Wakefields Property Management received complaints from tenants of the Morningside Ridge in Durban about the burning of incense sticks of religious practices was causing discomfort or rather a ‘nuisance’. How do you suggest that as South Africans, we can become tolerant of diverse cultural and religious practices in our communities?

Abdud-Dayyaan: Religious intolerance is another worrying division in our society. I find it imperative to note that European global empires functioned on the idea of the “secular” European self as opposed to “non-European other”. We cannot escape the fact that religious division across the world is a tool of hatred alongside others like racism, misogyny and xenophobia.

When I was part of the group at UCT that pushed for a policy on “religious accommodation”, we argued that “secular” has a particular meaning at white institutions like UCT. We noted that secularity does not entail “disregarding the existence of religion in the public domain.” Even though our Constitution affirms that everyone has the right to diverse beliefs, some places like schools, universities or within communities do not accommodate “minority” religions.

Thus, when we call the fundamental beliefs of others a “nuisance”, we disregard the lived experiences of others. We have a long way to go, and the legal challenges to the Athaan at mosques in Durban and Cape Town is another example. The Athaan is practised around the world and is a “call to prayer”. As a Muslim, I cannot ignore that this is happening in an increasingly divided world, and in the context of gentrification in a spatially segregated Cape Town. Religious leaders and communities should be at the forefront of activism and change. The late Imam Abdullah Haron, for example, was linked to Robert Sobukwe and inspired younger anti-apartheid activists. Our activism and education should include radical tolerance, and this includes affirming each other’s religious and cultural practices and beliefs.

In 2018, you were part of the team that started Her Campus UCT alongside the first co-correspondents of the chapter: Fadiyah Rabin and Julia Naidoo, and other executive committee members: Aqeelah Bray, Aleya Banwari and Nasreen Adhikari. Then, Fadiyah Rabin went on to become the chairperson of Her Campus UCT in 2019. You served as the Public Relations director but ended your term early due to other commitments that took you away from your leadership position in the chapter. What made you decide to form a part of the team that started Her Campus UCT? Also, how did you feel about being a part of the Her Campus team?

Abdud-Dayyaan: I think the start of HC UCT is a lovely story. In 2018, the first co-correspondents Julia Naidoo and Fadiyah Rabin, contacted me because they wanted to establish the first HC Chapter in South Africa. A group of us (including the names above) signed on to serve various roles and submitted the names to HC headquarters. At the time HC UCT was not even a recognized UCT society, but I remember the positive energy of the space including lots of coffee, brainstorming, discussions and admin!

I honestly believe that everyone had a feeling HC UCT would be very successful one day. The trajectory of HC UCT has frankly been incredible. In 2019, it finally became a student society under Chairperson Fadiyah Rabin. This year marked the consolidation of the platform under correspondent Stella Hartanyo. The fact that HC UCT is now a GOLD LEVEL Chapter is no mean feat. There are so many obstacles required to achieve that feat, and the diverse community of student writers is also a big part of that success.  More importantly, the array of topics addressed reach across so many boundaries, identities and perspectives!

HC UCT still ranks as one of my favourite teams to have been involved in. It was such a vibrant and powerful space. When I was a part of the Her Campus team, I was conscious and reminded of my positionality (even in sharing this story). Men have to be active allies in supporting the dismantling of patriarchy, structural oppression, and also support initiatives addressing womxn empowerment. Due to other commitments, I eventually ended my term early and was replaced as PR Director by Logan Croeser. But I always reflect on my experience. As students, we often take on too many commitments, and sometimes it is okay to recognize when we cannot be fully active. You have to give 100% commitment, especially in radical spaces like HC UCT.

You have been a part of different spaces such as UNASA-UCT, the UCT Global Citizenship programme, Her Campus, Inkulu-FreeHeid and many others. How have these spaces shaped your perception of yourself and your worldview over the years?

Abdud-Dayyaan: The spaces I took part in focussed on numerous issues, but I always found myself shaped by the positive energy of those around me. I have served in leadership roles at high school and university, but I always preferred the value of collective learning. I remain eternally grateful to have worked with so many people in spaces that tackled societal norms but also challenged my assumptions. They allowed me to explore my interests such as history, current affairs and writing. Over the past two years, postgraduate historical studies have similarly shaped my worldview.

We need to radically address the legacies of colonialism on the African continent, and established unequal global structures remain unchanged. I find myself increasingly sceptical that established political structures and multilateral institutions like the African Union and the UN should lead this change.

Young leaders in student leadership structures often experience many challenges and pressures in their roles and may often have little to no mental health awareness. How was your mental health during your different leadership roles? Also, how did you take care of your mental health?

Abdud-Dayyaan: I remember being out of breath all the time during my undergraduate studies. I think the most important thing in taking care of your mental health is to have a strong support network of family and friends (that is outside of the structure in which you work). I also prioritised hobbies such as language-learning, creative writing and baking.

Student leadership spaces are taxing, and you realise the importance of self-care!

Last year, I must admit I struggled with my perception of myself and often didn’t make time for anything besides academics and society stuff. There is a tendency when taking on student leadership roles to make them the center of your life. When you believe in something, it is natural to give 100%. But this can be detrimental to your academics and your well-being. Universities do not provide adequate support systems, nor recognise that student leaders are human beings with individual aspirations and academic journeys.

I want to address student leaders to say that we see you and appreciate the work you do. But please be kind to yourself! 

Some of the leadership qualities that I admire the most about you is your authenticity, humility, integrity and service to your fellow beings. What do you think are some leadership qualities that define your leadership and why?

Abdud-Dayyaan: I don’t think I’ve ever seen myself as a leader or an advocate, but enjoy being involved in these initiatives and working with like-minded young people that seek solutions to problems in society.

When others tell me they look up to me, it fills my heart with joy. For me, leadership lies in the power of other people. But self-learning and self-critique are essential. I often feel like I’ve made no impact, and that is also okay! It doesn’t mean that I will not keep being involved though.

What are some of the ways that you suggest the youth can help move society forward?

Abdud-Dayyaan: I won’t claim concrete solutions of my own. We only need to look at examples in the past few years such as #RhodesMustFall and #FeesMustFall to see that this generation of youth are already demanding that society must move forward. Young activists around the country are leading the movement against the pandemic of GBV and femicide.

These questions are so important as a youth living in “democratic South Africa” that we must ask ourselves: What does it mean for our parents and grandparents to have negotiated their entire lives in a segregated colonial society? What kind of psyche does that impart? More importantly, has this apartheid actually ended?

As a history student, I believe young people must take our history seriously. Historical consciousness is not just what we learn in textbooks, nor what political parties teach us. History is not a list of events like 1652, 1910, 1948, 1976 and 1994. There are histories of space, language, bodies, emotions and experience. The oral histories of our communities are equally valuable: We all have a life story worth sharing.

A portrait of Abdud-Dayyaan Badroodien.
Photo by Siddeeqah Salie

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?

Abdud-Dayyaan: Over the past two years, I have slowly realised that one of my main motivations moving forward is to foster a historical consciousness amongst fellow youth. Our high school textbooks betray the vast richness of our collective history in Southern Africa, but also on the African continent. I want to be involved in activities that achieve this kind of work. Towards the end of 2019, I got involved in a podcast project called Umlando weembali: A Southern African History podcast with close friends and fellow History Access scholars: Precious Bikitsha and Wade Smit. 

I hope to be involved in similar projects that find creative ways to share stories and challenge hegemonic historical knowledge in our society. The COVID-19 pandemic has blocked off thinking about the future, but we must not forget our past. Education and knowledge-building are our radical tools to confront the past, act in the present and carve out our own futures.

Nqabisa served as a staff writer for the University of Cape Town (UCT) student chapter of Her Campus online publication in 2020. In her role, Nqabisa wrote original and inspiring articles on various topics. She is passionate about increasing access to mental health services. She has done this by advocating for task shifting mental health treatment to lay counsellors in the mental healthcare system to meet the mental health needs of adults and adolescents in South Africa. She has always embodied servant leadership by taking up leadership positions in student governance structures and student-run organizations at the university. She has recently obtained her Master of Arts degree in Psychological Research from UCT and is a Mastercard Foundation alumni of the university's scholars program. She has served as the treasurer in the Postgraduate Humanities Faculty Student Council and the Vice-president of the UCT student chapter: Habitat for Humanity. Additionally, she continues to gain new insights on tackling humanitarian, development and sustainability issues from programmes such as the Prague Summer School: Development, Sustainability and Globalization online course and the UCT Global Citizenship short course on Citizenship & Social Justice: Activism, Service and Social Change amongst other leadership development programmes and initiatives. Nqabisa hopes to equip herself with the necessary skills and knowledge to become an emerging African leader, humanitarian and psychologist.