Hollywood’s exploitation of South Africa’s film industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

South Africa is known to have one of the most lucrative film industries in the world. Its gorgeous scenery and easily accessible studios make it a huge filming hub worldwide. Many Hollywood feature films actually use South African film studios to make their highly grossing box office flicks. This then leads to the question: Why does South Africa’s film industry not benefit the country’s economy on the same scale that Hollywood benefits the USA’s?

This is because even though South Africa’s film industry is extremely profitable, these profits often go to international film companies as opposed to the South African economy. This is evident in the box office revenues each country’s film industry generates. According to Statista, in 2021 the U.S. film industry generated around $4,48 billion, whilst the South African film industry generated $19 million in box office revenues.

Hollywood is one of the biggest exploiters of South Africa’s film industry. Hollywood film companies choose to film their productions in South Africa due to the vast amount of set designs they are able to use at such a low price.
Hollywood film companies will often hire a studio to film in cities like Cape Town and Johannesburg. These companies claim that they are giving back to the South African economy by filming in these cities. However, this is not entirely true. Yes, these companies give a small percent to the economy by booking studios and different locations in South Africa to film, however they rarely provide employment to South African workers. Hollywood would like to create the idea that they are doing the South African film industry a favour, when in fact, it’s the complete opposite. Only South Africa is able to give Hollywood companies what they want at such low prices, but there is a false narrative that South Africa is benefitting from these Hollywood companies.
With regards to the employment of South Africans, very few international film companies provide this. Instead, they opt to fly in their international crew and bring extras from overseas. This means that Hollywood companies are not enriching the South African film industry either. They’re purely exploiting the low cost of living, whilst letting South African filmmakers (who already generate an unstable income) lose jobs due to international competition.

Hollywood is also known for exploiting South African stories. Look at ‘Black Panther’ and ‘Long Walk to Freedom’. Both films were filmed in South Africa and are stories representing South African history and cultures, however they both cast American actors as their leads and sides. The film companies that made these films also used mostly-American crews and management. These films become true examples of how Hollywood exploits South African history and culture for their own benefit.
These films could’ve easily used South African actors as leads, especially since it told stories that South Africans have lived through. Instead, these Hollywood companies chose to exclude South African filmmakers and actors, while they made profits off the suffrage that these same South African filmmakers and actors are still facing today. As long as Hollywood continues to exploit the South African film industry, the industry will never be able to reach its full potential.

Hi! I'm Zara Smith and am currently doing a triple major in Film, Media and English Literature. I love writing and am very interested in pop culture and how it relates to social issues. My writing mainly explores the film industry, music, fashion and of course celebrity news! I hope you all enjoy what I have to offer!