This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

At the beginning of the pandemic I did what a lot of people did and downloaded TikTok, ironically. It is fair to say that at this point, it’s embarrassing how much time I spend on the app. However, the algorithm has curated the perfect ‘For you’ page for me that is filled with fashion creatives, visual artists and so many more things I would not have had access to otherwise. I am not sure if we can say that currently TikTok is a microcosm for what is happening in the outside world (given its young target audience), but it has been interesting to view how these fashion trends come about and how they transform with time.

Y2k

Y2k, or 2000s fashion in general, is making a comeback, and it is thriving on TikTok right now. Think low-rise jeans (a travesty), strappy heels and baguette bags. Personally, 2000s fashion is not my favourite fashion decade, however, it has been interesting to see how Gen Z have reintroduced these trends in 2020. One element that has been controversial on the app regarding y2k fashion, is the so called “gentrification” of second-hand clothing via Depop or Instagram sellers. This is basically where individuals source out thrift stores, buy in bulk and resell these clothes, sometimes marked-up at ridiculous prices in the name of y2k fashion. There are mixed feelings about second-hand reselling, because as it is there is still a huge chunk of this clothing that is not resold, and it shifts the blame onto independent sellers rather than the large corporations that drive the cycle. One thing that I have learned from TikTok is that it is really difficult to shop completely ethically and sustainably under capitalism, but at the end of the day it is still great that more and more people are buying second-hand.

Patchwork

This trend is really interesting because it stems from fashion designers who want to avoid waste. They would use scrap fabric from their previous projects and adjust their designs to accommodate the fabric by creating beautiful patchwork. Some popular items are corsets and two-piece sets. I have also seen some cool pieces made from patchwork such as jackets and pants. I think from a production point of view this is great because it helps sellers make the most of their materials. It is also interesting to see consumers get excited about these products knowing that they are doing their small part to avoid more fabric waste.

Cottagecore aesthetic

I was introduced to the world of cottagecore via TikTok. It refers to an internet aesthetic that celebrates traditional skills such as baking, pottery, and gardening. Cottagecore fashion has also heavily influenced many personal styles. Think gingham, florals, puffed sleeves and prairie dresses. I find it really interesting that an entire fashion trend originated from a lifestyle, but it is refreshing to observe and take part in. An element of cottagecore that I absolutely love is people being more in touch with their surrounding environment and taking part in domestic/household skills that were perhaps deemed unnecessary or outdated.

Tie-dye and bleaching

I am not exactly sure how or why bleaching denim is so trendy on TikTok right now. Perhaps from an artistic point of view it is fun, or even stylish. I however do not find the tie-dye and bleaching trend to be timeless and feel that it may ultimately be a waste. It has also been interesting observing  people dyeing the two-front pieces of their hair. Again, I’m not sure how this has become a trend, not only on TikTok, but all-over social media. Could it be that people are bored at home due to quarantine? Or perhaps people are more willing to commit to a minimal dye/bleaching job

Bucket hats

I have mainly come across the bucket hat trend in the context of sewing TikTok. I find that many creators make these bucket hats in order to use up some scrap fabric that may be lying around the house. At this point, I have watched countless tutorials on how to sew one myself. If I think of modern-day fashion trends, it is difficult to identify a particular hat trend that has defined the past few decades, so it is interesting to see something as peculiar as the bucket hat becoming more visible and a part of mainstream fashion.

Euphoria inspired makeup

If you’ve watched Euphoria, then you will know that the fashion and makeup elements are important tools in conveying emotion and character development. The bold use of makeup, specific to each character, has encouraged many to incorporate it into their everyday life. I think the timing of it all is perfect, as we are now in an age where makeup is becoming a form of artistry, for both men and women. Typical elements of Euphoria-styled makeup include glitter tears, rhinestones, strong eyeliner and brightly coloured eye makeup.

As mentioned in the points above, many of these trends involve sewing or some form of DIY in general. I think it is one of the symptoms of the quarantine, that many have realised they can do a lot by themselves, or perhaps have used their time at home to exercise more creativity or previous hobbies. This is probably what I appreciate the most about TikTok – I believe it has allowed so many around the world to be themselves and share bits and pieces of their talents, culture or simply their thoughts with the world. I know TikTok has been around for a while, but especially during this quarantine it has allowed many to find some form of community.

Kelly Kordom is currently completing a BMedSci Honours programme in Neuroscience and Physiology at UCT. She loves to express herself through fashion, writing and story telling. As a former third culture kid she also values diverse spaces and engaging in thought provoking conversations.