This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

The line between creative outlet and obsession is so blurred for fan fiction that it’s given everyday people the platform to write fictional works based on pre-existing characters and settings; but also tends to feel a little invasive with regards to people’s privacy. Characters from fan fiction works such as famous singers and actors love to hear from fans and appreciate fans taking the time to write about them. However, it must feel a little strange seeing a complete stranger using truthful and accurate information about you in their fan fiction. You might read where you grew up or when your birthday is, and although that’s pretty much all public knowledge, it’s still unclear whether writing a fanfic—as it’s commonly known— is a way for someone to express their feeling or if it’s an infatuation.

Fan fiction is also popularly used to ‘ship’ or fantasize two fictional characters or people in real life that are not romantically linked or have never dated, to be in a romantic relationship. We see this in Harry Potter fan fiction where Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter are written as love interests. A very popular fan fiction category is that of One Direction and fictional writings of the band members lives. Many people associate One Direction fan fiction with the fictional theory that Harry and Louis dated behind the scenes. This theory took the world by storm with fan fiction being written on Tumblr with the name ‘Larry Stylinson’, a combination of the two names. Some of the fan fiction written around One Direction can be interpreted as an obsession with the band members, as some of the fictional plots written about them started rumours that the band had to respond to. 

Distinguishing whether or not fan fiction is a creative outlet or an obsession can be linked to the age of a writer. When you are young and impressionable you tend to find fandom and being a fan of something or someone all-consuming. When we were pre-teens and teenagers and we liked a movie or band we became so wrapped up in the paraphernalia associated with a singer or movie. From posters to merchandise, it’s understandable to be a tad bit infatuated and therefore write a fictional piece on a topic you feel you might have a lot to speak on. We find ourselves ‘shipping’ certain characters together to be romantic interests and creating fictional plotlines in which they’re together. Yet, when we grow up, we seem to grow out of the ‘fangirl’ or ‘fanboy’ phase as we get older. When you’re older and still creating fictional storylines is when fan fiction might begin to lean on the obsessive side. 

Whilst many people associate the beginning of fan fiction with the 1960’s and Star Trek, platforms such as Tumblr and Wattpad were synonymous with fanfictions in the mid 2010’s to now. Wattpad became increasingly popular for allowing any user to be a reader and/or writer. Everyday people were given a platform to showcase their writing skills and highlight their work. Many books that began on Wattpad have gone to be published by major companies. Some people may start out as fan fiction writers and later become published authors as other users of the platforms enjoy reading their work. One of Netflix’s most popular teen romance movie series, The Kissing Booth, started out as a Wattpad book by author Beth Reekles.  

I’m all for being a fan of someone or something and I understand being a creative and wanting to have a place to express your feelings and maybe even try out some writing, just remember not to let being a fan take control of your life.

Sarah has recently finished her fourth year at the University of Cape Town focusing her postgraduate honours degree in Linguistics. She completed her undergraduate in 2021 with a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Linguistics, English Literature and Media Studies. She enjoys learning languages and writing, as well as sitcoms and technology.