Style > Fashion

Exploring Cape Town’s Sustainable Fashion Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Sustainable Fashion in Cape Town

In recent years, we as a society have become more aware of the disastrous effects that fast fashion is causing – both on the environment and on the workers who are dependent on their low wages to make a living. We are seeing more and more frightening statistics about the extent to which the fast fashion industry is filling up our landfills and polluting the earth with greenhouse gasses. While fast fashion is appealing due to its low prices (despite its subsequent low quality), it is getting much more difficult for people to remain ignorant of what goes on behind the scenes – the continued pollution of the earth and the degradation of “those caught in the grind of garment factory work”. This is no different in South Africa. As explained by Cape Town fashion designer Megan Art, “In South Africa, we have a huge fashion industry where people are not acknowledged and paid the right wages. Sustainability is neglected”.

Because of our growing awareness, there has been a rise in demand for sustainable slow fashion – contrasting and countering the fast fashion industry with its commitments to environmental sustainability, ethical production, and high-quality items that are timeless and stylish in their designs. Many local clothing brands in Cape Town are doing their part in making a difference – they aren’t just fashion creators; they’re advocates for environmental and social change, and advocate for conscious consumerism. Cape Town’s fashion scene is slowly but surely embracing the slow fashion movement, and more and more people are seeking out alternatives to the damaging fast fashion cycle.

So, without further ado, here are some local, sustainable fashion brands that I have personally checked out and would 100% recommend if you want to browse for some new clothing items without feeling eco-guilt:

1. Studio Candor

Studio Candor is my personal FAVOURITE slow fashion brand in Cape Town. I have so many items from them I am practically a walking advertisement – ask anyone I know, they will confirm. In their mission statement, they detail their commitment to minimising the ecological footprint of the fashion industry and are committed to reducing waste. They also highly value an ethical workplace environment, ensuring that their seamstresses are paid adequately within a safe and supportive environment.

Additionally, Studio Candor absolutely delivers when it comes to making products that are durable and unique, which can be styled in many ways. They are also very LGBTQ+ and have a large variety of gender-neutral clothing – they state that “Through fashion, we aim to challenge conventional gender binaries and create safe spaces for all individuals to express themselves authentically.” So really, whoever you are, you are their target audience. If you’re looking for a shop with retro aesthetics that will stand the test of time – both in longevity and in style – consider checking out Studio Candor for your fix.

And if you are worried about prices though, never fear! Candor has you covered. You can check out their Instagram for updates on sales and for announcements of thrifting shindigs and ‘clothing swap’ events. They have hosted a handful of these ‘clothing swap’ events where people bring in items they no longer want and can trade them for someone else’s pre-loved items. Not only are you able to let go of pieces that are just collecting dust in your cupboard, but you’re also getting new clothes without any damage to your bank account. It’s a win-win situation if you ask me, and definitely worth attending if you get the chance. Candor is absolutely pioneering sustainable fashion practices and are 100% worth supporting.

2. Bambalam

Bambalam has some of the most unique artistic designs on their clothing I’ve seen, but also are great with providing stylish basics – this is something I think should be celebrated. Their gorgeous, patterned dungarees and jerseys are to die for and are perfect if you want to stand out. And alternatively, their single-coloured dungarees and dungaree dresses are perfect staples to pair with any basics you have in your closet. They also have an excellent variety of colourful corduroy, and who doesn’t love that? It’s timeless, it’s durable, and it’s stylish. I personally own one of their corduroy jackets and have received many compliments.

Bambalam is committed to slow fashion and to creating as little waste as possible – every piece of scrap fabric has a purpose. They also communicate that they are committed to being size-inclusive, which is traditionally something that local, sustainable businesses lack in. With Bambalam, you can be assured that both sustainability and inclusivity have been considered in equal measure. They’re all about expressing yourself for who you are, quirks and all, and are committed to representing everyone. I’d recommend checking them out, even if you’re just planning on admiring their fantastic print designs.

3. EAT YOUR GREENS

EAT YOUR GREENS. You Know Its Good For You ™. Their charming and bold slogan speaks to conscious consumerism and will resonate for anyone who are environmentally conscious. All materials from EAT YOUR GREENS are ethically and locally sourced, and in doing so are actively minimising their ecological footprint and doing their part to support the local economy. Not only are they committed to preserving the environment, but they advertise their products as inspired by nature too – they translate the beauty and harmony of nature into each garment they make. If you’re looking for pieces with more earthy tones and natural aesthetics, EAT YOUR GREENS is for sure the place to go. Their items are comfortable and stylish, so you don’t have to worry about the typical fashion-over-function dilemma. So, not only are you comfortable and making a good choice for the planet, you look great while doing it.

Their product selection has many gender-neutral pieces, as well as pieces that can be styled in a traditionally feminine or masculine way if you so desire. Their diverse range caters to an array of styles and tastes in this regard, so you’re bound to find something you like. Plus, their logo is too cute, and you’ll inspire everyone around you to eat their greens (probably, this hasn’t been professionally tested. Don’t quote me on that).

Can Sustainable Fashion Truly Reach Everyone?

I think I’d be doing a disservice if I didn’t point out the fact that sustainable fashion isn’t always a feasible option for everyone. Higher-quality items that are also made with ethical wages and economic consciousness in mind are going to be more expensive than what you can find on Shein. Particularly in South Africa where wealth inequality is high and persistent, buying clothing at low prices is most affordable, and thus most appealing.

And I know you’re probably thinking, ‘What about thrifting?’ Thrifting is an excellent option for buying high-quality items for lower prices and discouraging fast fashion. But even thrifting nowadays has become more expensive, and sometimes unaffordable depending on where you go. Thrifting prices have increased due to its rising popularity, making it a much less feasible choice for those who needed the cheaper option in the first place. Unfortunately, thrifting is trendy, and anything that is trendy inevitably becomes commercialised. Thrifting becomes an even more impractical option when people on Instagram resell their thrifted items for double the price they originally purchased them for. This doesn’t apply to all Instagram thrifting pages, but I can personally think of a few…

My point is that it’s important to remember that people can practice sustainability in many ways, so it’s important not to criticise people for not shopping sustainably. Just because it is sustainable for you doesn’t mean it’s sustainable for all lifestyles.

Still, Cape Town is absolutely booming with sustainable fashion options. Plus, many brands are coming up with budget-friendly options that still promote sustainable fashion practices, much like Studio Candor’s clothing swap events. So, if you can afford to shop sustainably and are looking for some new eco-conscious brands, or if you’re looking to splurge on some high-quality items that will last forever, consider some of these brands if they hadn’t previously crossed your radar.

Film and Television Studies Honours student