This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

It is common for you to make mistakes when you don’t even know that they are mistakes in the first place. There are thousands of mistakes you make every single day because you THINK it is the right way to do it.

This is not your fault, as you were simply misinformed. Here are five mistakes you are making when it comes to beauty:

You should not be drying your hair with a bath towel

Rubbing your hair dry with a bath towel can cause friction between your hair, thus, causing knots and breakage to occur and that is not what you want. Instead of rubbing your hair dry with a towel, use it to blot or squeeze excess water out of your hair and if you want to be extra gentle, rather use your hands or a T-shirt.

Cutting your hair frequently does not make your hair grow faster

Cutting your hair frequently is not helping your hair grow. According to Cosmopolitan magazine, your hair grows at the same rate, every day, whether your hair has been trimmed or not. However, this does not mean you should not trim your hair. Trimming your edges will help get rid of weak hair, leaving your hair well maintained and definitely stronger.

You are washing your face way too much

It is so easy to make this mistake. You get a sign of a pimple appearing, and you want to get rid of it ASAP. You wash your face day and night, exfoliate, tone, moisturize, mask. However, what you don’t realize is that your skin has a very sensitive surface and can get irritated very quickly. Over-washing, exfoliating or toning can cause your skin to develop microscopic tears, dry out and damage your skins natural skin barrier. The best thing to do for your skin is to be gentle. Try taking two days in the week to allow your skin to breathe by only washing it with water and moisturizing after.

You are forgetting to SPF certain areas

When applying sunscreen, there are certain areas that you might be missing. One of these areas are under your eyes where your skin is much thinner than the rest of your face, therefore, making it more vulnerable to UV damage. Another area neglected, is around and behind your ears. If you think about it, your ears are most exposed to the sun and thus more prone to damage from the sun. An important reason to protect your ears from UV damage, is that your ears are at a very high risk of skin cancer. Other areas you should not forget about as well, are the top of your hands, feet, your eyelids and your lips.

You are wearing nail polish way too often

When you wear nail polish all the time, you are not giving your nails time to breathe, and this can be bad. Not only are you causing your nails to become dry and brittle but, you are also making them weak. This also means that when you are always wearing nail polish, you are always removing them to apply new coats. This in turn means your nail beds are being exposed to way too much acetone which contributes to weakening your nails and drying them out even further. A solution would be to put on a base coat that helps protect your nails from those harsh chemicals in nail polish, allowing them to stay strong. Another tip to keep your nails healthy, is to soak your fingers in warm water for 10-15 minutes to help re-hydrate them.

Tyler Tittleton is a student by day and writer by night. She majors in Film, Media and Gender studies. When she is not being a mother, studying, writing or fighting traditional gender roles; she is reading, playing Sudoku and watching every series known to mankind.