Beating Back the Rainbow Nation Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Wave after wave of bad news hitting us means that it’s been a tough few months in Mzansi. If you’ve been feeling disillusioned with our country and even afraid to go about your life, know that you are not alone. Even the most resilient — and/or desensitised — citizens and residents are feeling blue about ‘the Rainbow Nation’. We may feel alone and disempowered but there are ways that we can take the power back and overcome any disillusionment or fear we may have!

Just as womxn’s month closed with the horrific rape and death of Uyinene Mrwetyana, heritage month — yet another month dedicated to celebration — ended with the terrible death of Cebo Mbatha. These incidents are nothing new but the ensuing surge of anger and protest have forced even the most optimistic of us to reckon with the gritty reality of being South African. With a world-famous beach and a government post office setting the scene of the crime, perhaps most overwhelming has been the breach of spaces we have traditionally thought safe. No wonder, then, that South Africans have been experiencing disillusionment and fear.

So, what can we do to fight disillusionment and fear?

Practice self-care

There are so many different kinds of self-care but what they all have in common is an incredible ability to help you slow down and hit recharge!

It’s easy to be sceptical when we tell you that going to bed an hour earlier or watering the plants will help stop the flood of disillusionment and fear you may be going through. But don’t be; self-care is so effective, the World Health Organisation has an official definition for it!

Unfortunately, self-care’s gotten a bit of a bad name as people have associated it with selfishness and laziness. This couldn’t be further from the truth! The philosophy behind self-care is that if you want to take care of others, you need to take care of yourself first. So, once you’ve found your self-care routine, you can move onto…

Volunteer

When we are disillusioned with and afraid in South Africa, we should never forget that we are South Africans and we all play a role in shaping the society we are so tired of. This may sound saddening but it can actually be very empowering! If we accept our responsibility and/or complicity, we can move forward to taking action.

Thanks to technology, there are so many ways to promote change (and feel better about ourselves)! One of my favourites is the Global Citizen app which sends you a combination of good and bad news everyday and then provides a list of petitions to sign, tweets to send, calls to make or quizzes to take. These actions only take a few seconds and, collectively, do have an impact! You can also sign up with similar platforms such as Amandla.mobi or Avaaz.org.

For a face-to-face commitment, volunteer with an organisation. There’s plenty of evidence that volunteering helps lift depression so imagine what it could do for a bit of disillusionment! Volunteering is also a great way of socialising with different groups of South Africans, as you can choose to work at a suburban old-age home, a township school or anything in between!

Mingle

As much as I love South Africa, I’m only too aware of the reality that this is not one, united country. It may be the posterchild for South African tourism but our country’s diversity has also led to many divisions which still need to be repaired. This is the kind of work that has to be done on an individual level so let’s get to know our fellow South Africans!

Now, I’m not telling you to sidle up to the nearest person of a different race or gender and take a selfie — that would be potentially objectifying and downright creepy! But I do believe that we should make an effort to understand why our friend groups look the way they do and then take ourselves outside of our comfort zones every now and then. Cultural diversity has so many benefits, including cross-cultural respect and understanding — something our country definitely needs! There’s no one way to do this but it’s definitely something to be aware of.

Learn a new skill

Research shows that learning new skills boosts our self-esteem and gives us a sense of purpose. Equipping yourself with a new skill can help you feel empowered, something we definitely need to combat disillusionment!

To help with this, consider learning a new South African language (UCT runs free courses in Afrikaans, Xhosa and Khoekhoegowab every semester, and Summer School also includes language classes). I tend to take Mandela quotes with a pinch of salt but this one makes practical sense: “If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.”

Change your lifestyle

Small changes have big impacts on our brains. Most of us dream of winning the lotto and donating a few million to charity when, in truth, we can already be the change we want to see in the world with a few simple lifestyle modifications!

Worried about all the dolphins choking on plastic? Switch to reusable bags, straws and all the other Faithful-to-Nature paraphernalia you can find!

Freaking out about how many South Africans are unemployed? Start buying more locally made products (it’s usually around a R5 difference) and complain loudly when you can’t find a “Made in South Africa” label on that perfect t-shirt!

Don’t try to take on too much at once as it probably will feel overwhelming. However, choosing an issue that really bothers you, finding out how that issue is perpetuated and then seeing how you can adapt your lifestyle can feel really empowering and hopeful! Who knows, it may be as simple as calling out your classmates for saying “guys” to a group of womxn (a pet peeve that I’m still complicit in — I’m working on it)!

Life in South Africa makes us sigh on the best of days but when we’re facing dark day after dark day, it’s more important than ever to take action. Whether it’s starting a self-care routine or signing up for a language course, remember that the steps you take do have an impact!

Jenna is an African studies and social development graduate who's doing her honours in media theory & practice at UCT. She writes about museumgoing culture and how literature, fashion and travel can create meaningful societal change on her blog, Me in Mzansi.