A ‘Batman’ Timeline: All the Actors Who have Portrayed ‘The Dark Knight’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

The highly anticipated ‘The Batman’ was released in theatres on the 4th of March. Robert Pattinson takes the lead as Bruce Wayne a.k.a Batman in the film. Batman is one of the most beloved superheroes of all time and it’s safe to say that the Batman universe has had its fair share of portrayals, adaptions, and reboots. Playing the Dark Knight, with his rabid fan bases, has evidently been a difficult task for all those who have had the honour of playing Batman and wearing the Batsuit.

Lewis Wilson (1943)

Lewis Wilson was the first actor to play Batman. As the youngest person to play Batman, Wilson appeared in the 15-part film serial ‘Batman’ (1943). Everything from Wilson’s weight to his accent was criticized. Nonetheless, the serial was commercially successful and spawned another chapter serial, ‘Batman and Robin’ (1949). 

Robert Lowery (1949)

In the follow-up 15-chapter serial ‘Batman and Robin’ (1949), Lowry played Batman. However, he was a forgettable actor in the role. 

Adam West (1966-1968)

Adam West portrayed Batman in the 1960s series ‘Batman’ and its 1966 theatrical feature film which was, technically, the first live-action Batman movie. West’s campy, over-the-top portrayal of Batman has received mixed reviews. Some have criticized his goofy, kid-orientated Batman whilst others appreciate the quirkiness of his Batman. His portrayal is still mostly well-remembered despite this.

Michael Keaton (1989-1992)

Directed by Tim Burton, Keaton’s portrayal of Batman in ‘Batman’ (1989) was the first serious silver screen-take on the character which elevated the film in a way that had never been done before. Keaton infused the role with a quiet seriousness that West’s Batman lacked. ‘Batman’ is often credited with paving the way for today’s superhero epics. ‘Batman Returns’ (1992), typical of Burton’s work, is comical and weird. The film received positive reviews and was commercially successful. However, Keaton did not return to play Batman due to creative differences with Joel Schumacher who would direct the next instalment of the series.

Val Kilmer (1995)

In ‘Batman Forever’ (1995), Val Kilmer replaced Michael Keaton in the third film of the series. Burton also departed as director and was replaced by Joel Schumacher. Whilst Burton’s first two Batman films were brooding, Schumacher makes a generally successful effort to lighten the material.  Although Kilmer did fine as a replacement for Michael Keaton, he didn’t do enough to put his own distinctive stamp on the character and did not return to play the Dark Knight.  

George Clooney (1997)

George Clooney played Batman in ‘Batman and Robin’ (1997), replacing Val Kilmer. The movie, as well as his portrayal, is infamous for being the worst Batman adaption of all time and one of the worst superhero films of all time. George Clooney received negative reviews from critics and regrets his performance, calling it a “waste of money”. Joel Schumacher, the director, later stated that he aimed to make ‘Batman and Robin’ a more family-friendly film which was “less depressing”, with Batman being “less tortured and more heroic”. This adaptation and approach to the character ultimately contributed to the failure of the film.

Christian Bale (2005-2012)

Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dark Knight’ trilogy offers a darker, grittier take on Batman. His reboot of the franchise with the first instalment of the series, ‘Batman Begins’ (2005), was a breath of fresh air in comparison to the previous more cartoonish and comical Batman adaptions. Bale is largely favoured as the best actor to play the Dark Knight and provided a more realistic portrayal of the character. ‘The Dark Knight’ (2008) is considered one of the best superhero films of all time. Heath Ledger’s performance as The Joker in the film, which earned him a posthumous Academy Award, is particularly notable. The Dark Knight Rises’ (2012) provides a satisfactory conclusion to Nolan’s Trilogy. Nolan is credited with saving the Batman franchise.

Ben Affleck (2016-2021)

Ben Affleck made his debut as Batman in Zack Snyder’s “Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice” (2016). Affleck’s Batman is a bigger and more imposing presence than ever before. The movie wasn’t well-received by critics and audiences whilst Affleck’s dark, gritty, brooding portrayal of Batman received mixed reviews. Affleck’s most notable appearance was in ‘Justice League’ (2017) which was praised for its action sequences and acting but was criticized for its pacing. Affleck also had a brief appearance in ‘Suicide Squad’ (2016). 

Robert Pattinson (2022) 

Robert Pattinson is the latest amongst a long list of actors to portray the Dark Knight in ‘The Batman’ (2022), directed by Matt Reeves. The film features Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman and Colin Farrell as the supervillain, Penguin. Other than that, I won’t say too much before the majority have seen it. 

The possibilities of Batman and his universe are seemingly endless. I, for one, am excited to see what’s next for the franchise and who the next Batman will be.

I’m a 3rd year student at UCT studying a BA with majors in Linguistics and Media & Writing. My passions/hobbies include discourse surrounding social justice reform and human rights issues, critical thinking, my relationship with God, spirituality, music (all kinds) and dancing.