This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

EXAMS ARE OVER, and the holidays are upon us people! No more awakening up in the middle of the night in a fit of panic worrying whether you know enough information or wether your seat number had changed on Vula. The summer holidays are extra long and during this time it is essential to include some movie watching onto the list of things to do during your holiday. I have put together a list of 5 movies that I felt everyone NEEDS to see.

1.   Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Year: 2017

Director: Martin McDonagh

Genre: Drama/ Crime

The film is about a relentlessly mother trying to seek justice for her daughter that was raped and murdered. With the local police department making no arrests after seven months, Mildred Hayes puts up three roadside signs to force the Ebbing police chief into action. But many of the townspeople as well as the Chief’s deputy do not take kindly to this type of action and the whole town is split into two: Mildred verse the entire town of Ebbing.

This is fantastic. No other words to describe it. Go watch it now and thank me later!

2.    I, Tonya.

Year: 2018

Director: Craig Gillespie

Genre: Drama/Sport

This film is a Biopic about the infamous Tonya Harding. The film follows the skating life of Tonya Harding when in 1991 she became the first American woman to complete the triple axel during a competition. But by 1994 her world comes to a complete stop when her ex-husband conspires to injure Nancy Kerrigan (a American female ice skater) in a poorly executed plan that forces Tonya to withdraw from the national championship. The film follows the story of Tonya Harding through her trials and tribulations as a female skater.

Life, marriage, abuse and professional skating. What more could one ask for in a film? Margot Robbie- well she’s in there too.

3.    Forever My Girl.

Year: 2018

Director: Bethany Ashton Wolf

Genre: Musical/ Comedy

‘Forever My Girl’ is a romantic comedy that follows country star Liam Page who has left everything behind to follow his dreams of becoming a country star- even his high school sweetheart Josie Preston. Eight years later, Liam returns to find nothing is the same and Liam is forced to take a look at his life and decide what he truly wants. This film is based on the novel by New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Heidi McLaughlin.

This is perfect for that Sunday Blues- actually it might leave you wanting to find that great kinda love, but it is definitely up there with The ‘Notebook’ and ‘Notting Hill’.

4.    Happy Death Day.

Year: 2017

Director: Christopher B. Landon

Genre: Mystery/ Slasher

Tree Gelbman is a self-involved collage student who wakes up on her birthday in the bed of a fellow student Carter. When a masked killer suddenly takes her life in a brutal attack, she once again awakes the day of her birthday in Carter’s bed. Tree is forced to relive the same day over and over again until she figures out who her killer is.

This is the perfect film to show bae that you are more than just a Romcom lover. The film has its scary moments but no need to watch it in the middle of the day with all the lights on.

5. Wonder.

Year:  2017

Director: Stephen Chbosky

Genre: Drama/ Family

‘Wonder’ tells an incredibly inspiring story of August Pullman, a young boy with facial differences who enters fifth grade, attending an elementary school for his very first time. The film follows Augie’s ups and downs as he tries to overcome his differences and get others to do the same.

A film you can watch with your entire family- uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents and baby sister Jill. Everyone. Also, everyone will probably end up crying and one point or another- I did. More than once.

I am a fourth year student, studying Film and Media Specializing in Screenwriting