Why ‘Chef’ Is The Perfect Post-Midterms Movie!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

The 2014 film Chef is in inspirational story of a chef, Carl Casper, who leaves his job after being treated poorly and pursues his dream as a food truck operator.

Carl is in a rut and falls into the peer pressure of his controlling boss who makes him serve the same, boring food to the most acclaimed food critic. The critic picks apart the meal on his online blog, leading the chef to leave his job.

His ex-wife tricks him to travel to Miami with their son, Percy, which he thinks is only to nanny his son. After a quick business meeting with an old friend, Chef and his son work to clean out a run-down food truck and start out to drive it back to Los Angeles.

Percy tags along in an effort to spend time with his dad, and in the process learned to love cooking just as his father. The son heads up the social media for the business and the company flourishes. His dad starts to realize how important his son is to him and they bond over their long trip home. At the end of the film he learns how to be not only a better cook, but also a better dad.

Chef is a feel-good, must-see film that inspires watchers to never give up on their dreams and anything is possible if you set your mind to it. The film also emphasizes the importance of family.

I would recommend this film to everyone for their post-midterms Netflix binge!

UCSD '16 Political Science- American Politics Major
Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.