jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Waiting On The One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

As we all know, Valentine’s Day is on the horizon. The cards are out, the restaurants are booked, and there’s candy everywhere. What a fun day to celebrate. Except if you’re single.

If you’re single, this holiday begins to become a day that isn’t applicable to you. As if everyone is attending a party you’re not invited to. Trust me single gals, I feel it too. In fact, I have never celebrated a Valentine’s Day with a significant other because I’ve never had a significant other… It’s honesty hour time.

The fact that I’ve never had a boyfriend is never the first fact I share about myself. It’s as if I fear for someone wondering what’s wrong with me, as I sometimes ask myself. However, I wholeheartedly believe that there is someone out there that I was specifically chosen to be with. Call it star-crossed, soul mates, destiny, or in my case, God. Knowing this, I consider being single as a freedom to create, work, get to know myself, and to make and spend time with friends.

Although all of these single things are fun, I know how it may feel to see all the hand holding, smooching, and lovey-dovey Instagram photos. Sometimes I feel lonely and out-casted. I get it, BUT Being single doesn’t make you any less important. A S/O should make you feel important, but not give you your importance. Don’t sell yourself short ladies; you are all deserving of a loving, supportive, and encouraging person to share life with.

But until we find the one, collegiettes, I challenge us to celebrate the fact that love exists on this Valentine’s Day. Whether it be a love for your roomies, gals, friends, family, or pets – it exists. What a great excuse to tell people in your life that you love them. Love is a beautiful thing, and your Valentine’s Day should be too. Enjoy it. Don’t dread it! 

Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.