The Ultimate Christmas Movie Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Your Ultimate Christmas Movie Guide:  

One of my absolute favorite things is curling up on the couch with a fire and a hot drink for a Christmas movie during December. Whether you’re watching with your family, boyfriend, best gals, or your pup, I have compiled a list of THE BEST Christmas movie. I am a self-proclaimed expert on this subject so you’re in good hands.

1. The Holiday: Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, dnd surprisingly serious Jack Black? This star-studded cast has some seriously chemistry.

1. The Family Stone: This is more of a drama, so it’s both sad and heart warming. It’s about a family coming home for Christmas, portraying realistically hilarious events that occur throughout the holiday. One of my favorites, all year long!

1. Serendipity: This film is frustratingly cute. There are so many missed connections! But it propels the plot along. Did I mention there is a Central Park ice skating scene? LOVE

1. Love Actually: Similar to The Family Stone, I love how all the characters overlap and interact. Another star-studded cast!

1. It’s A Wonderful Life: A Christmas classic. What more to say?  

5 Christmas Flicks from your Childhood that Never Get Old:

1. Jingle all the Way: Arnold Schwarzenegger is the main character and it’s hilarious.

1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas: Both the animated and live versions are awesome. I forget how much I like it until I watch it again.  

1. Eloise at Christmas Time: I love this movie still. Mostly because you get to see the Plaza and New York City at Christmastime. A dream come true!

1. Santa Claus is Coming to Town: The claymation is so weird but so awesome. It still gets me.

1. The Santa Claus: Tim Allen is a legend. I wish he was the real Santa Claus. Also, Charlie is the best.

5 Christmas Comedies to Keep You Laughing until New Year’s:

1. Elf: This is a new time classic. How did we even survive before this movie was created?

1. Christmas Vacation: I love all of the vacation movies, but this may be the best one. Check it out if you would enjoying laughing for two hours.

1. Christmas with the Kranks: Tim Allen again! So good. Based on the book Skipping Christmas this is a tale about greedy husbands and nosey neighbors.

1. Home Alone: “Keep the change, you filthy animal.” Enough said.

1. I’ll Be Home For Christmas: Still crushing on Jonathan Taylor Thomas in his youth. This movie doesn’t seem to be well known on the Christmas movie “charts” but it’s great. Trust me.

Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.