This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Meet Sarah Min!

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Year: Third Year

Major/ minor: Communication / ICAM Minor

College: Warren (UCSD)

Hometown: Chino Hills

What made you join Her Campus?

I joined Her Campus because I wanted a community where I could learn new skills, and Her Campus stood out to me especially because it’s a group of women that uplift each other and push each other to grow, and female empowerment is something I think is so important! I also thought it would be really fun to have more writing opportunities and experience something new.

What field do you want to get into?

Ideally I would like to work in the creative field. I’m really passionate about creativity and writing happens to be something I love. I’m also really interested in music and art so I’d love to get into a field that blends all these aspects together.

How did the pandemic affect you? 

My pandemic experience was unpredictable to say the least. I initially took a gap year without any expectations and the pandemic pushed me to get in tune with my creative side again. I started reflecting more on what my priorities were and what direction I wanted to go, which led me to reconnect with music and art. I started writing songs for the first time too and released a single with my friend! In a lot of ways it was a very isolating experience, but at the same time it felt nice to slow down and spend time with family, all while recentering myself.

What do you do when you get stuck while writing songs?

Usually each song has a different process. Sometimes I’ll write a song in 30 minutes, other times it might take months just to think of the next verse. But when I feel stuck I like to spend time in nature and go on hikes to clear my mind and find new inspiration. Sometimes I’ll go down the music rabbit hole and try to find other inspiration that way too.

Who is your favorite artist (celebrity crush / inspiration)? 

Right now I’ve been really inspired by Japanese Breakfast. I feel like seeing someone with a similar cultural background making music without any inhibitions is something that really struck me, and made me want to take steps in that direction too. Unrelated to music, I also love writing in general and she recently published a book called “Crying in Hmart,” and I couldn’t stop crying the whole way through. I think it’s amazing when artists share such vulnerable moments with the world and create something beautiful through it, and it’s a quality I admire a lot about her.

What are some things in your bucket list? 

I’d love to travel more once things start opening up again to places like Japan or France or even states in the U.S. I haven’t visited yet. I really want to learn how to make ceramics too!

Iris Choi

UCSD '23

Hello! I'm Iris. At school, I am a cognitive science student who studies interaction design with the aspiration to become a UX/product designer. Aside from school and work, I like talking with friends, reading good novels, going to new cafes, watching classic movies, admiring bts, painting without thinking, randomly going to the beach, and so much more…