This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Major: Molecular and Cellular Biology

Year: Third-year transfer

Hometown: Montebello, CA

Campus Involvement: 

• General Member in UCSD Pre-Physician Assistant Student Organization (PPASO) for the 2019-2020 school year

• Social Coordinator in UCSD Pre-Physician Assistant Student Organization (PPASO) for the 2020-2021 school year

• Orientation Leader for Thurgood Marshall College at UCSD; started on April 2020

• General Member for Flying Sams for the 2019-2020 school year and for the 2020-2021 school year

• On the Social Media team for HC starting May 2020

What’s been the best thing about being a UCSD student so far?

Being a transfer student, I did not expect UCSD to provide great resources for everyone. The best thing about being a UCSD student is that there are many resources provided for all majors. There are many research opportunities, study abroad, etc. Everyone here is so nice, even though I was a bit scared that people in my class were so much smarter and ahead of the game. In reality, we are all struggling in different ways. I was lucky to become friends with my peers, as we all help each other to ensure that we will pass the class no matter what. I also think that being next to the beach is a plus because the weather is so nice for a jog and seeing the view is what eases my stress and worries.

What are you looking forward to most for the next year?

I am looking forward to in-person events again. We never know what will happen next school year because of COVID-19. I am remaining positive and hoping that Sun God will happen for next school year. I already had ideas for my outfit for this Springs’ Sun God, but it sadly got cancelled. I hope that I can experience at least one Sun God with my friends, so we can just have fun and be surrounded by good vibes and music.

Where are your favorite places to go outside of school and/or work?

To burn off some stress, and calories, I would go to the gym. It is a habit for me to go to the gym after class to work out certain areas of the body. My favorite would have to be leg day because my lower half is much stronger than my upper body, so I feel so accomplished when I reach another personal record.

I love going to museums because seeing the history and art of pieces is so calming. It could be very calm or loud, depending on the crowd, so it is nice to visit many places to see what different art pieces they have. 

I also love getting boba from Tpumps. My favorite is Peach Rose Green Tea with lychee popping boba. I would go to Tpumps with my boyfriend, friends, family, and my dogs. I love it when my dogs would catch people’s attention when we wait in the long lines, so it makes me happy when they get belly rubs and petted by other people.

What are some songs currently on your playlist that you can’t stop listening to?

My music taste is so all over the place. One second I would be listening to R&B/Soul, or it would be Rap/Hip-Hop, or it would be EDM. One song that is currently on my playlist that I cannot stop listening to would be “Fallin” by Alina Baraz. Her voice is so nice, and it is just a vibe. It helps me ease my stress, so I would feel peaceful listening to this song. It would also help me fall asleep at night when I am having trouble doing so.

What are you hoping to do with your major in the future?

I want to become a Physician Assistant that specializes in dermatology. I was inspired to go into dermatology one day because I, myself, have gotten acne this past year, so I want to help others reduce and get rid of their acne in the most natural way possible. The good thing about Physician Assistants is that they have a lot of flexibility and versatility, so they can change specialty. 

I want to be able to create a stable income for myself, so I can be able to give back to others. I want to be able to provide free health services to those in developing countries. I come from a fortunate family, so I am lucky to not have to go through struggles that other people face. I want to be able to give back to others because my parents have given back to the community in so many ways, so I am inspired to do the same as them.

Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.