study abroad spain barcelona palm trees beach summer sunny tropical
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
Career

SPOTLIGHT: JERMAYNE LE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Meet Jermayne Le!

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Year: Class of 2024 (second year)

Major: Cognitive Behavioral Neuroscience

College: Seventh

Hometown: Huntington Beach, CA

What made you join Her Campus? What really drew me to Her Campus was the energy and environment, as well as the opportunities I could take on. College is a stressful place to navigate and I was excited to meet these amazing ladies and create content!

What are you studying? What field do you want to get into? I am currently studying Cognitive Behavioral Neuroscience and would love to pursue a career in medicine. I have always had an affinity for working with children and infants, and neonatology especially excites me. I do love finding a balance between my interests so I’d love to get more involved with criminal justice in the future as well. 

How has the pandemic changed you in a good way? The pandemic definitely made me aware of my privileges as an individual, as well as helping me be in tune with my raw emotions. I was alone, mentally, most of the time in quarantine and that really forced me to situate my feelings and thoughts. I felt unproductive because I couldn’t go out and participate in the usual volunteer/work events before COVID, I felt physically weak because the gym wasn’t open, and I felt lonely because I couldn’t see my friends. Overtime, I was able to cultivate those burdening thoughts into reassurance that I knew my best self was yet to come. It was comforting to know that I had so many hopes and aspirations for myself and I only wanted to get better. As for exposure to my privileges, I realized how fortunate I was to be comfortable at home while simultaneously doing school because I know many students don’t have the opportunity to, for example, take a test and be able to concentrate in a quiet space. In addition, a lot of the activism that occurred during quarantine really forced me to evaluate my role and place in society. Acknowledging the many disparities POC experience in our nation and how there is a long history of negligence/exploitation were necessary to learn. 

What would you tell yourself 5 years ago and what would you tell yourself in 5 years? I would tell my 5-years-ago-self that she is so capable and powerful. I would tell my future self that I am so grateful that she held her head high and has so much grit!

Who is your role model or celebrity crush? My celebrity crushes would be Jhene Aiko or Chrissy Teigen.

Where do you want to travel? I want to travel to Switzerland or South Africa!

What is your best memory of UCSD of San Diego so far? My best memory so far would be joining Pi Beta Phi and meeting my big!!

Joana is a third-year undergraduate student at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) majoring in Communications and minoring in Film Studies. During her spare time, Joana likes to spend it reading books while enjoying a nice cold cup of coffee, watching movies and k-dramas, or adding a new page to her scrapbook journal. Joana hopes to hone the skills and experience that she gains from Her Campus and as a Communication student at UCSD and apply these to her future career aspiration as a marketing strategist in the entertainment industry.