South Asian Representation in Bridgerton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

With the second season of Netflix’s Bridgerton underway, the series has once again exploded in popularity all over social media. Like the last, this season follows the wealthy Bridgerton family during the annual marriage season of the 1800s, with the new addition of the Sharma family from India. 

Bridgerton has always stirred discussion in regards to the choices it makes on representation in a series set in the 19th century. Notably, the show creates a world in which colonialism did not occur and racism had no part. This choice proved to be very controversial with some feeling that the inaccuracy represented a fantasyland that will never be a reality for people of color while others believe that the show’s escapism allows for minorities to be represented in a way they deserve. 

Although South Asian representation is beginning to expand within mainstream media, it is always lacking and most of the time catering to stereotypes. Netflix’s Never Have I Ever began the move away from this, although the series is far from perfect, the biggest critique being that the main character’s Indian ethnicity is in part the reason for her being unpopular in school and considered unattractive. HBO Max’s The Sex Lives of College Girls introduces one of its characters as a former “Indian loser,” once again succumbing to the idea that Indians are unattractive and nerdy. 

Watching Bridgerton season 2 as a South Asian myself, I did not find any of the stereotypes of South Asians that I grew up watching on TV. The Sharma Sisters and their beauty are never questioned, and they are undoubtedly proud of their culture, which is met by others with the same respect. The show even includes cultural practices that I grew up doing and have never seen on American TV, such as the oiling of hair and ceremonial pre-wedding rituals. The classical renditions of Bollywood music and Indian jewelry that the sisters are always seen wearing with their English clothing is truly inspiring. Watching parts of my culture on Bridgerton made me inexplicably happy in a way I have never experienced after consuming mainstream media featuring South Asians. 

The complexity of the characters of Kate and Edwina Sharma is another aspect I found to be refreshing. Too often Indian characters are not given any thought and are entirely one-dimensional without room for growth. The Sharmas are written to be as complex as any other character, rather than being written as a crutch for White characters. 

Bridgerton certainly fulfilled my expectations, and I hope to see the same careful consideration given to South Asian representation in the future. Season 2 marked a turning point in cultural awareness in mainstream media, and I am optimistic that Bridgerton’s success will continue the progress towards eliminating harmful depictions in the future.  

First-year at UC San Diego majoring in communications Loves reading, writing, and spending time outdoors