This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

I have a bad habit of constantly buying books despite my bookshelves at home being filled to their limit with books I have yet to read. With all these possibilities, it is difficult to commit to one book. In this article I hope to provide you with some insightful reviews of what I have recently read to help you choose your next book.

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney: 

While I enjoyed reading Sally Rooney’s other hit novel Normal People, I did not feel that I connected with it as much as many of my peers did. Nevertheless I decided to give Conversations with Friends a try and I was not disappointed. Reading through the main character Frances’ perspective forced me to reflect on the ways that I navigate the complexities of my own relationships. In response to her fear of vulnerability, Frances develops a callous defense that negatively impacts both herself and those she loves. I was completely captivated by these characters and their complicated relationships and cannot wait to see the Hulu adaptation. 

The Queen’s Gambit by Walter Tevis:

This book follows orphan and chess prodigy Beth Harmon as she battles with addiction on her path to becoming the world’s greatest chess player. If you enjoyed Netflix’s The Queen’s Gambit as much as I did, you must read the book. As much as I loved watching Anya Taylor-Joy and Thomas Brodie Sangster in the TV adaptation, I just might have liked the book better. It’s a page turner. I was completely glued to it. If you are in a reading rut, I highly suggest this to help you get back into reading.

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut: 

So it goes. A classic anti-war/sci-fi novel filled with irony, dark humor, and insight on the nature of war and death. The story depicts Billy Pilgrim’s chaotic journey back and forth through time after surviving the bombing of Dresden in World War II. I think this one is definitely worth the read, though the non-linear chronology may make the text feel a little harder to work through.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt: 

Beauty is terror. A group of pretentious New England college students’ enthusiasm for studying classics slips into a dangerous obsession. I had heard so much about this book and, after finally getting around to reading it, I must say I highly recommend. This book is so well written with a riveting plot and characters that manage to remain so charming despite their questionable morals. 

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami: 

Sad, sweet, and nostalgic. Murakami’s writing is beautiful and I look forward to reading more of his work in the future, but the women in this novel were portrayed as weak and perverted which was a bit uncomfortable. 

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald:

Taking place in the South of France and throughout Europe, the book follows the deterioration of the captivating and charismatic couple Dick and Nicole Diver. The Divers’ relationship is believed to have been mirrored off F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda’s relationship. I will admit this one took me a while to get through, but I really enjoyed it despite the insufferable protagonist. 

Kalohe is a third year Literature and Writing major with a minor in Communications at UCSD. She is a surfer from Laguna Beach, CA with a passion for books, sustainable fashion, and music.