Pierre Sleiman: Go Green Agriculture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.
Who is Pierre Sleiman? You may recognize him from the banner proudly displayed from your daily commute along Ridge Walk. You may have even seen him interviewed on NBC 7 San Diego and KUSI News or read about him in Times of San Diego. Following his undergraduate career at UC Riverside, Pierre attended our very own Rady School of Management and received his MBA in 2013. Founder and CEO of Go Green Agriculture, Sleiman was one of 15 individuals recognized by the White House as part of the “Champions of Change” initiative celebrating local agricultural leaders who are using modern innovation to contribute to their local communities.

Go Green Agriculture is a fairly young company that farms lettuce in a very different waythan one may expect. Not only does this agricultural method involve no soil, but requires a closed-loop system that allows continuously recycled water to flow under the roots. Pierre Sleiman’s technique reduces water usage by 80% while producing the same amount or surpassing traditional farming output. With California in a serious drought, Go Green Agriculture’s practices are environmentally friendly and maintain a mission of growing premium, organic and GMO-free produce. Find ‘happy living’ butter lettuce at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Gelsons, and even your own UCSD campus market!
Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.