This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

This week I had the amazing opportunity to meet fellow new member, Yonna Lee (she/her). Yoona is fourth year ERC student from Seoul, South Korea majoring in Communication and Technology, Innovation, & Supply Chain.

What made you decide/want to join Her Campus?

Through HER Campus, I wanted to get a space for exchanging opinions and sharing my beliefs with the other women of UCSD who grew up in various backgrounds. Also, by communicating from the same woman’s point of view, I wanted to help each other understand and comfort each other about the anxiety or confidence that the title of woman has placed in them. As an independent individual, not as a woman, I expect to sharing my individuality and my daily life with the club members which can contribute to weaving various images of women beyond the traditional frame of women.

If you could describe yourself as a song, what would it be?

I would like to describe myself as a song named ‘Unstoppable’ by Sia. “I put my armor on, show you how strong how I am/ I put my armor on, I’ll show you that I am”. This lyrics represents all the moments I have endured to prove myself as a competitive human being. The lyrics also portray myself as a strong, independent, and enterprising person. Whenever I listen to this song, I get so much energy to confront all of the challenges in my life and get through them with confidence. 

What is your best memory of UCSD so far?

My best memory of UCSD can be the first week of in-person class on campus. I am a transfer student who transferred in Fall 2020, in the middle of the chaotic pandemic. After long days of remote instruction, I was excited and thrilled to actually meet people, look into each other’s eyes and talk to them while exchanging each other’s positive vibes. Also, exploring around the campus with my housemate has became my daily quest of the week. I got to look at Geisel Library, Price Center, Communication building(my major department), Eleanor Roosevelt college(a college I belong to), Sixth college(one of the fanciest college on campus), and so much more. I was happy to imagine myself thriving in each of these special places on campus.

What are some things on your bucket list that you want to accomplish before graduating?

I would like to have more campus life upon graduation. I realized that there are a variety of extracurricular activities that I can enjoy on campus. As I mentioned, I am getting tired of the online world and I would like to step out of this bubble. I want to go to various career fairs, as my graduation is just around the corner, join recreational activities such as Tennis, Swimming, and Surfing. One day, before graduation, I hope I can surf on Scripps beach. Personally, I would like to improve my Japanese skill. One of my dreams is living and working in Tokyo, Japan in one day of my life. I would say that I have little to no problem having a casual conversation with my friends, but it would be much better to polish my Japanese skill so that I can be more competitive when getting a job.

If you could have your dream career right now, what would it be?

As I pay great attention to Beauty and Health, meaning cosmetics and organic diet, I look forward to working in a cosmetic company as a member of the management and advertising department. I want to increase my overall understanding of the industry by knowing the cosmetics production and distribution process in more detail. Also, I have thought about working in a beauty magazine company as an editor. I want to write a lot in pursuit of true beauty while taking care of inner happiness and health beyond the outer beauty.

Are there any content ideas you have and/or are excited about?

As I am one of the social media team, I would like to create various posts on school activities and women empowerment on our Instagram account. I can share my daily routine and give life tips and hacks for those of who wish to improve their daily routine. Overall, I am open to any activities that we are going to participate in and I look forward to getting along well with the members as well.

Madeleine is am a third year student at the University of California, San Diego double majoring in Visual Arts Media and Clinical Psychology. In her free time she enjoys reading, watching true crime documentaries, photography, and going to the beach!