This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

I went to Disneyland on my birthday, and I had an amazing time and experience while there. I grew up living near the park, and I used to have a pass when I was younger. I love to visit and celebrate my birthday there because it reminds me of ~ simpler times ~ and it really is the happiest place on Earth (I promise I am not a Disney adult). This trip was really special, and I feel like I experienced the real Disney magic that everyone always talks about.  

Right when my family entered, we were pulled aside by a lady, who promised us a surprise that would be worth our while. At first, I thought it was one of those surveys that would give you a sticker at the end that my mom used to do upon entrance to the park. However, it turned out to be something very different. She asked us if we were okay with being filmed, and we signed releases. Then, somebody pulled us aside and gave us Lightning Lane for the entire day and added it to our tickets, which is usually $30 a person. We then boarded the Disneyland Railroad, where a full film crew was waiting. I was still half-asleep, and I was sitting there, dissociating and watching people enter the park below. My mom also got handed a pair of ears for free by the same lady who had stopped us, which was another great touch. Suddenly, I hear, “Hey everyone!” and there was Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in Frozen!

I was shocked. He was dressed in a full train conductor outfit, and also had a personalized name tag. I learned after that he had been a skipper on the Jungle Cruise in the past, and this was just another day on the job for him. Then he asked, “I heard somebody is turning 20 here.” I froze. He then proceeded to wish me a happy birthday, ON CAMERA, and I was absolutely flabbergasted. My family was also shocked and we were all so excited about what was happening. Then the train ride began, and Josh began to crack jokes as we made our way in a circle around Disneyland on the train route. There were even a couple stops when people went to get on the train, and Josh got off to surprise them. It was a hilarious experience and some of the jokes were too funny. Finally, we were back on Main Street, and we got off the train and said goodbye to Josh and the film crew. 

We then made our way to the back of the park to ride Rise of the Resistance, with this being the only line we waited in all day. We skipped the lines on every other ride we rode, stopping to enjoy snacks like pretzels and popcorn. I also got to try the infamous Harbor Galley chocolate chip cookies, which were incredible. The Lightning Lanes were so effective that we ended up finishing all the rides by 8pm. This was truly an incredible experience and an amazing day. The train ride was an added bonus! It was a very memorable birthday and it has become a great story to tell.

Isabella is a second-year political science student at UC San Diego. She enjoys reading, baking, going to the beach, attending concerts, spending quality time with her friends, and playing water polo!