This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

I love podcasts because I can listen to them while riding the bus, doing household chores, or getting ready for bed. Here are some of my favorite educational and entertaining podcasts. 

Work Life is hosted by Adam Grant, an organizational psychologist with TED. This podcast explores how we can overcome career challenges and enjoy our work. As someone who is planning to enter the workforce soon and has been nervous about doing so, I have found this podcast very insightful. 

Episode recommendation: Authenticity is a Double-Edged Sword

Hidden Brain is hosted by Shankar Vedantam, a journalist and science correspondent with NPR. The podcast is about unexpected but impactful psychological phenomena. This podcast sparked my interest in psychology, and I always feel surprised after listening to the episodes. It also has practical tips about how we can apply psychological principles to our everyday lives. 

Episode recommendation: Why Conversations Go Wrong

How to Save a Planet is hosted by Alex Blumberg, a radio journalist. Blumberg used to co-host the show with Dr. Ayana Elizabeth Johnson, a UCSD alum who earned her PhD at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in marine biology. I discovered the show because I admired Dr. Johnson’s work and have been listening to it ever since. How to Save a Planet is about climate change solutions, from agriculture to policy. It’s great for aspiring environmental professionals like me to stay informed about current environmental progress, but it’s also simple enough for a general audience to understand. 

Episode recommendation: Kelp Farming, for the Climate

Intersectionality Matters is hosted by Dr. Kimberlé Crenshaw, a professor at Columbia Law School and UCLA Law School. She developed the theory of intersectionality, which states that people’s unique experiences depend on how their race, gender, sexuality, etc. interact, and that these identities cannot be separated from each other. This podcast explores how intersectionality affects various aspects of society, and I appreciate that it encourages me to think about social justice in new ways.  

Episode recommendation: The Story Of Us

Modern Love is hosted by Anna Martin, a producer at The New York Times. This podcast explores different kinds of relationships, from romance to family to friendship. I personally enjoy listening to people’s life stories, and I always finish each episode feeling like a stranger shared something vulnerable with me.

Episode recommendation: The Upside of Our Parents’ Divorce

The Sporkful is hosted by Dan Pashman, who is now most known for inventing a new pasta shape called Cascatelli. The show discusses how food affects the human experience. If you’re obsessed with food and cooking like I am, this one’s for you!  

Episode recommendation: The Mission Impastable series

Emma Chan

UCSD '22

Emma is a fourth year student at UC San Diego. She is majoring in Environmental Systems and minoring in Political Science. After graduation, she hopes to work in conservation biology or science communication. When she's not studying or working, she enjoys hiking, photography, playing piano, and baking.