This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

When I was in about third or fourth grade my grandma tried to teach me to crochet, and I wasn’t the best at it. But my senior year of high school I took a Fiber Arts elective class, and my capability to crochet had improved. When Covid hit, I took advantage of the opportunity to create and experiment with what I could do with a hook and yarn. Most of these projects didn’t take long at all, and I learned from YouTube videos!!

1. Scrunchie

These are so fun and easy to make, and I made them for friends and family in an assortment of colors! I could whip one out in like 5 minutes! 

1. Flowers:

These are also a fun mini project for decor, to embellish scrapbook covers or cards, or even use as a hairpiece!

1. Rug

This is one of my favorite projects, and it’s super easy and didn’t take long because the yarn is T-shirt yarn, which is super thick. A rug like this really transforms the decor of a room

1. First-ever top

This top begins my collection of crochet crop tops. The idea of making clothing was so exciting and scary, but I love how it turned out!

1. Light blue scrunch top 

I saw this scrunch style in so many stores, and it’s surprisingly simple and so satisfying to pull tight to make the scrunch. 

1. Light blue underboob

Making a perfect arc for the underboob cutout was a bit more challenging than my past beginner projects, but I kept redoing it until I liked the shape. 

1. Teal Lace top

This is definitely my favorite top that I made! It was so fun to do the Lacey detailing, and it was rewarding to see the outcome!

1. Tan bra

This bra is super delicate, and the yarn is thinner and silkier than the previous tops I made. Loved experimenting with a more neutral color here!

1. Mask bag

Another one of my favorites, because of the color and pattern! I made this when quarantine first started, and I’m still obsessed with it! This was still super easy to make but definitely learned some new stitches. 

1. Granny square bag

I got inspo for this bag on TikTok! And it was so fun to make a bunch of floral granny squares, which was something new. Stitching them together was so satisfying, and I love the little tote!

1. Pink napkin top 

I was inspired by the Kylie Jenner top and used baby blanket yarn, so this top is super soft! I had to keep trying it on while making it to size correctly. 

1. Russia blanket 

This is the first blanket I made, and it was so fun to just touch the soft and cuddly yarn! It didn’t take long at all even though the blanket is a bigger project because the needle is bigger, and it’s so warm and cozy! 

1. Blanket

I saw this blanket yarn and I knew I had to get it and make a blanket with it! It matches the color of my room and is so thick and cozy. The pattern is repetitive so it’s a great one to do while watching a movie!

1. Headband 

These winter headbands are sold at stores for so much, so I decided to make one with this fluffy velvet-looking yarn! It didn’t take long at all, and is stylish with a twist while keeping my head warm! 

1. Hair scarf

I’m obsessed with the crochet head scarf trend, and it is such a fun way to spice up my wardrobe and accessory game!

Crocheting is such a fun little hobby to do when I have free time, and I make more things for people, grow my collection, and hopefully sell things one day!

Maya Ordoñez from Cerritos, CA. She is a second-year at UC San Diego majoring in Communications and double minoring in Business and Dance. She is currently on campus and is involved in Greek life and the UCSD dance team. She loves the San Diego area because of the nature, beach, food, and adventure!