This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Like most college students, I have a major coffee addiction. Although, recently I have realized that it is not only the caffeine that causes me to buy a $5 latte every day but the experience as well. That may sound completely insane to some people, but I love the action of going to get coffee and the atmosphere that many coffee shops provide, and I think a lot of people subconsciously feel the same way. 

My obsession was first sparked in high school at my local Dutch Bros – which I still struggle without in San Diego. My friends and I loved going to Dutch Bros and sitting in line, laughing, and talking about anything and everything. Looking back, some of my favorite memories have been made in the drive-thru lane at Dutch Bros. Even now,  when I visit home, my friends and I have to go on a Dutch run to honor our tradition. This is when I learned that it was less about the coffee and more about the activity. 

This same concept applies to sit-down coffee shops. Nowadays, there is an endless amount of trendy coffee shops with plants, macrame pot holders, and quotes on the walls. These spaces provide so much more than coffee. They are seen as a place of productivity and are always accompanied by customers working on laptops or reading notes inside. 

Like most coffee shop goers, I always feel a weird sense of unity when working on homework at a cafe as it feels like everyone is simply coexisting and getting their work done together, but individually. School can get incredibly stressful at times, and studying alone in your room for hours on end can leave you feeling sad and frustrated. There is always a drastic shift in my mood when I decide to study in a coffee shop instead. It gives me a reason to interact with others while also being productive and surrounded by the relaxing vibes that coffee shops provide. 

I think it is so important to find a study space that you feel comfortable in outside your room as it can make school a little bit more bearable at times. Hopefully, you consider taking a trip to a local coffee shop to study with finals season coming up! Some of my favorite coffee shops to study at include Starbucks (of course), MoM’s on campus, and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf!

First-year at UC San Diego majoring in communications Loves reading, writing, and spending time outdoors