Meet Nina Venuti, Vice Chair of Ellie’s Garden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Considering the amount of academic work and personal responsibilities most collegiettes deal with daily, it’s no surprise that it is often hard to find time to eat healthily.  A run through the dining hall and a trip to a fast food restaurant, time saving but at times less than nutritious endeavors, often seem like the only options.  But think again, collegiettes!  Enter Nina Venuti and the entirety of the commitee behind Ellie’s Garden.  Amongst a sea of dining halls and dormitories in Eleanor Roosevelt College shines this garden, a communal space run by a circle of passionate and environmentally conscious students.  Nina Venuti, the Garden’s vice chair, and the rest of the Ellie’s Garden crew have made it their mission to show students that healthful eating, food awareness, and time spent outdoors are invaluable, and can also be a heck of a lot of fun.  Nina’s story and her amazing perspective on the college experience is a tale from which we all can grow.  

Can you tell me a little bit about Ellie’s Garden and its goals?

Ellie’s Garden is a student-run, free access community garden located in Eleanor Roosevelt College. We founded our first garden plot in January of 2012, between Africa Hall and Asia Hall, and our second plot, called “The Farm,” in the spring of 2013, between Europe Hall and Latin America Hall. We aim to provide a space in which students can step away from their stressful schoolwork, and have fun while interacting with the earth and engaging in the slow food process. We hope to foster a sense of community among ERC students, and promote sustainability and an appreciation for the environment.

What motivated you to get involved with Ellie’s Garden?

I have always been interested in the environment and learning about the Earth, and really enjoy being outdoors. Perhaps more importantly, I love everything about food – growing it, cooking it, eating it, and sharing it with friends. Some of my favorite memories from my childhood involve going to farmer’s markets with my parents, and harvesting big tomatoes and snap peas from our own backyard garden. So Ellie’s Garden provided me with an outlet through which to explore a lot of my interests and hobbies.

How important do you think nutritious eating habits are for a college female?

Eating healthily is incredibly important and is something that I strive to accomplish (and often struggle with). As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized how much my mood is affected by what I eat, and know that if I treat my body well by eating nutritiously, I will ultimately feel better throughout the day. I’m a strong believer in “conscious eating”- knowing where your food comes from and being aware of its impact on the environment and your body. I am also a strong believer in dessert (hahaha), and don’t see healthful eating and enjoying sweets or other unhealthy things once in a while as mutually exclusive.

How do you spend your free time?

I spend my free time relaxing and enjoying the things I don’t get to do as much when I’m busy with school. I cook and bake a lot, spend time with friends, take hikes, walk, bike ride, read for pleasure, swim, watch movies and T.V. shows, and try to spend lots of time outside.

How do balance a position of leadership with other school responsibilities?

I balance my responsibilities by prioritizing the tasks I have to complete and trying to finish them as efficiently as possible. It helps that I really enjoy my extracurricular activities (I’m also Vice President of the Daughters of Triton, an all-female a cappella group on campus), so being a leader within the organizations in which I’m involved doesn’t often feel like “work.”

What is your favorite thing grown in Ellie’s Garden?

This is a really tough question, especially since what we grow changes from season to season. We just finished harvesting all of the leeks we grew in the Garden, so I guess I’d have to say leeks. I love leeks, and they take about 6 months to fully mature. I also always love the herbs that we grow year round and really enjoy sweet peas when they bloom in the spring. They’re so colorful and fragrant! My freshman year, we grew sweet potatoes, which was also really fun.

What advice do you have for other college women?

Wow, what a big question! Here are a couple of things I would say. First, be gentle with yourself. Allow yourself to make mistakes and give yourself a break. Take time to enjoy the little things – go outside and take a walk, explore a new part of the city, have a cup of tea, cook dinner for your friends, listen to music, read books, look at the sky (it gives you perspective!). Also, as cliche as it sounds, try new things and get involved! The more time I spend at UCSD, the more I realize just how many opportunities the university offers its students. Pursue anything that peaks your interest – follow your whims and your ambitions.  Do things to further your dreams, but especially do things just for fun! Not everything you do has to be geared towards furthering your career or boosting your resume – there is no shame in doing things just because you enjoy them! Next, I’d say find your voice and be assertive. Never be afraid to express your opinion and let people know that you have something to say!  Finally, put yourself out there and take chances. You never know what you’re capable of until you try!