Meet Nathan East: Grammy Nominated UCSD Alumni

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Nathan East is jazz, R&B, rock bass player, and even vocalist. He has recorded over 2,000 recordings and co-written and performed with Michael Jackson, Daft Punk, Phil Collins, and Stevie Wonder just to name a few. He’s also a UCSD alumni! He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in music from Marshall College in 1978. 

Although most well known in the smooth-jazz world, collegiettes would probably be most interested to know that East was the bass player for Daft Punk’s mega hit “Get Lucky.” He even performed on stage at the Grammy’s with the duo in 2013.

When he isn’t rubbing elbows with famous musicians, East is working on his smooth-jazz solo album, which just happens to be nominated for its own Grammy award for “Best Contemporary Instrumental Album”. Keep on the look out, because you will definitely be seeing Nathan East at the Grammy’s for many more years to come. 

Well collegiettes, take inspiration from Nathan East – he has achieved so much after receiving his degree! What higher honor is there for a musician than winning a Grammy? You can do anything you set your mind to. Good luck next week on your finals, you can do it!
Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.