freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Love Yourself on the Day of Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

We all know Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and we all know there’s a stigma surrounding this day if you aren’t in a relationship. It’s the “Oh, don’t worry if you’re single, you can always celebrate your love for yourself and have a night to yourself to watch movies alone” stigma. This is often the seemingly cynical advice given to you by your best friend who has been in a relationship for the past three years who is trying to reassure you and comfort you through your day-long depression. It’s this type of “advice” that really gets singles in a negative mood on Valentine’s Day. As being single for 18 consecutive Valentine’s Day, I can personally say that all the stuffed bears, chocolate, and flowers shouldn’t get in the way of what February 14 is truly about. Just because you may have to buy yourself chocolate, doesn’t mean that you have to be dejected for the day. February 14 is just another day. It’s another day for you to feel powerful, independent, and comfortable in your own skin. It’s another day to assure yourself that you are amazing. 

I would say that Valentine’s Day is an excuse to buy yourself chocolate and treat yourself a bit. (I mean, who doesn’t love any excuse to eat chocolate?) Having a negative attitude on this specific day that someone in history decided to assign as the day to celebrate being in a relationship isn’t worth the energy. It’s so much more refreshing and energizing to have a positive attitude, love yourself, not give in to the stereotypical hype of the day, and ignore the fluffy animals that may distract you from you. So your friend’s advice to love yourself may not be so cynical after all. Although you should love yourself and feel good about your accomplishments on a daily basis, if you’re going to choose a day to love yourself, it should definitely be February 14. The “Day of Love” deserves to be a day of not just loving others, but also a day of loving the self.
Rebecca is a second year student majoring in Cognitive Science. Her goal is to either be involved in Alzheimer's research or be a child psychologist. She helped plan recruitment for her sorority this year and enjoys soaking up the sun at the beach. 
Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.