This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Ketogenic (or keto) diet is rising in popularity among health and fitness gurus. But, what exactly is keto and what should women be aware of beforehand?  Keto is a high-fat, low carb diet, and its main objective is to consume more calories from protein and fat than carbohydrates. According to Diet Doctor, ketosis is a metabolic process in which our body burns stored fat for energy. This diet has many benefits for health and weight loss, especially in improving hunger and reducing excess body fat. For beginners who are doubtful or view keto as being too complex, this article will serve as a general guide. 

To begin, it is important to understand what kinds of food to eat and avoid. As mentioned previously, keto is a strict low-carb diet–ideally one should intake below 20 grams of carbohydrates per day. For a successful keto diet, protein is essential–meat (choose organic and grass-fed if possible), seafood (preferably fatty fish), and organic eggs. Although butter and cream sauce can elevate flavor in cooking, natural fat such as avocado oil, olive oil, and coconut fat is a healthier option. For dairy, select full-fat products and be cautious of flavored, sugary low-fat foods. Berries and low-carb nuts are also the perfect snack when managing weight. It is crucial to drink plenty of water, whether it is still, sparkling or with slices of lemon. 

The less carbs, the more effective keto is. This means ward off sugar, starch, beer, margarine, and even fruit, which contains lots of sugar. However, bananas, citrus, melons, and coconuts are better options as they consist of less carbohydrates. 

It is important to note, however, that women should consider some possible challenges before attempting keto. One of the main struggles individuals face is the actual weight loss; some people find themselves gaining some weight. A reason for this is an imbalance of hormones. Being too restrictive or trying to achieve a suboptimal level of body fat can affect hormones, so it is crucial to manage a happy weight rather than your “ideal” weight. Your period and PMS symptoms can make it difficult to participate in keto. Bloating, cramps and food cravings for sweets and junks can make anyone feel miserable during dieting. Also, although keto explores various types of new recipes, it does not give an excuse to binge eat. Emotional or stress eating is a major setback in maintaining diet and weight, and it will end up countering all your keto efforts. Having too many cheat days each week can also thwart your health goals. 

The eat-fat-to-lose-fat philosophy may be appealing to a lot of individuals but keto is a diet plan that takes commitment and determination. Keto takes effort and time and no one should   expect rapid weight loss wonder. 

Disclaimer: ketogenic diet may have to be managed and planned differently for those who are diabetics. 

Lauren Kim is a Los Angeles native and a senior at the University of San Diego. She is currently a Communication major and a Business minor. Being in college, Lauren has a growing enthusiasm for marketing and branding. In her free time, she enjoys going to concerts, documenting food adventures on her foodie Instagram account, watching movies, and exploring the city.
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.