screenshots of own netflix account and shows that are watched
Netflix

Kdrama: 3 Enemies to Lovers recs for your TBW

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

February has officially ended and Valentines has come and gone, but spring fever is just getting started! If your siutationship or partner is no longer walking the romance walk or talking that ‘roses on the bed’ talk, and you’re looking for some sexual tension and a little something to spice up the finale of the “Month of Love,” here are three new title recommendations for you!

Disclaimer, though the focus of this article is on lighthearted relationships, several of these series include sensitive topics including but not limited to: stalking, grief management, depression, suicide, anxiety attacks, trauma, medical PTSD, and workplace discrimination. Viewer discretion is encouraged.

1. Sh**ting Stars

This is one of my favorite feel-good rom-coms and I really think it beats out a lot of mainstream movies in the category!

A swoonworthy performance from Kim Young Dae (yes, I said it) meets it’s match in the cool-headed Oh Han Byeol played by fan favorite (Lee Sung Kyung) This is a longer slow burn— which, as all enemies-to-lovers enthusiasts know— is much more exciting to watch then. You know. Open and honest communication.

Yeah…everyone please take some time for self-reflection.

As a viewer, you’ll love the angle of a PR agency wrangling a bunch of actors and personality talents. The crisis management strategies and image maintenance are up to snuff too, and add to the plot’s tension in hilarious ways. For my Poli-Sci and prelaw audience, you may like the legal jargon, embarrassing typos, and all the examples of communication faux pas.

Imagine if the Dear Intern Twitter thread grew up, and started managing a superstar like Tom Holland and his endearing spoiler-prone slip-ups and you’ll have a pretty good premise for this show.

This series subverts several Kdrama tropes which is always a plus for me. Not to mention, there’s a deeper undertone of mystery, drama, and the effects of stardom on psyche. The narcissistic kind…and the terrifying kind! This title is available for streaming on Viki.com

1. Mr. Sunshine

This is a historical drama and political thriller centering around the period of attempted Japanese colonization of Korea in the early 1900s. In it’s final episode airing back in 2018 it was the “third-highest rated Kdrama in Korean Cable Television History”

There are several shouting-confession matches in this as well as the classical barrier of socioeconomic status.

More interestingly is the female lead poised as an equal to her male counterpart in wit, passion and firearm tactics. She consistently challenges the ML and his commitment to revolutionary ideals, conditioning her romantic involvement on commitments to national sovereignty and loyalty.

This is a knife-edge romance with peril on every side, even between the two lovers themselves. The will-they-will-they-not dynamic persists to the very end of the series. This title is available on Netflix.

1. Doctor Slump

This is an ongoing series available for streaming on Netflix. I recently started watching this and I have admittedly binged through everything till next Saturday. (Oops)

I take back what I said earlier though. This is a great example of two people who care about each other and work to resolve interpersonal issues. It seriously clears the air for anyone scarred by the aforementioned “miscommunication” trope.

This is an academic rivals story and it’s perfect for the competitive watcher. There are a lot of time jumps between the two “first-loves” who awkwardly rediscover their mutual tension following their senior year as the two “top dogs” in high school, fighting their way to the title of top student in Korea.

Playful teasing and self-sabotage characterizes this dynamic more than outright dislike or pent-up pining and there are fewer deep-seething confrontations and more highly emotional attempts to help each other after a rocky start. More than anything, it’s a story of burnout, depression, and finding meaning in life after seemingly “succeeding” (or not) in the professional field. This is an explosively refreshing portrayal of mental health issues onscreen that hits close to home.

Breakups, breakdowns, and makeups, I’ve been through it all recently. And with someone who’s a little closer to UCSD than you might think—but pause. That’s a story for another episode.

Just kidding, it’ll remain a cut scene. Sorry not sorry!

If you relate too, this title might be a comforting reminder that you don’t have to struggle alone. Feel free to let me know if you have any additional recommendations below, or on Instagram!

Till then, hang in there Ha-nuel!

MENTAL HEALTH: If you or someone you know is seeking help for mental health concerns, visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) website, or call 1-800-950-NAMI(6264). For confidential treatment referrals, visit the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) website, or call the National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP(4357). In an emergency, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255) or call 911.

Poli Sci and Comms major and film studies minor. Writer at the UCSD Guardian. Media studies fascinates me and in my free time I can be found writing essays at MOMs, debating the feminist trappings of Barbie (2023) diving into portrayal of Latin America in Western films, or making Spotify playlists.