This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

As the days get warmer and longer, summer becomes the ideal time to explore outdoor activities. Rather than scrolling through social media for hours on end, binge watching Netflix, and/or napping your days away, try out some of these outdoor hobbies in order to make the most out of your summer:

hiking

Looking to spend your summer exploring nature? Then, hiking might just be your new favorite hobby! It’s a great way to be active and get outdoors with and without friends. Not to mention that as Californias we have the luxury of exploring countless beautiful trails. 

gardening
Harvesting Chard
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Summer usually comes with extra free time, but that might not always be the case. Gardening is perfect for those who have a busier schedule considering that it only takes a few minutes a day. However, that doesn’t make it any less rewarding. If maintained properly, by the end of the summer, you’ll have a beautiful garden full of fruits, veggies, and flowers. 

Tennis

Looking to try out a hobby that requires a bit more skill? Then, grab a couple rackets, your cutest outfit, and head to your local park with a friend to give tennis a try! Tennis requires great mental agility and speed, so it’s the perfect hobby for someone looking to improve their skills over the course of the summer months. 

roller skating

Roller skating has made a comeback in recent years and for great reason. It’s fun, cute, and a great workout, especially if you’re looking to tone your legs! Spend your summer roller skating at the beach, a skate park, and/or around your neighborhood!

water sports

It wouldn’t be summer without getting out on the water. Whether it’s kayaking, paddle boarding, long distance swimming, or surfing, picking up a water sport as a new hobby is one of the best ways to enjoy your summer!

Laylani Cedano is a first year transfer student at the University of California San Diego. She is currently a Communication major and plans to pursue a career as a talent manager in the entertainment industry. During her free time she enjoys roller-skating, thrifting, and hanging out with friends. Some of her interests include music, film, and anything pop culture!