HerStyle: Five Fashion Worthy Brands That Make Shopping a No-Brainer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

According to Forbes Magazine, consumers today more than ever before are willing to pay a higher price for brands that are donating to charities. The recent study found that 42% of our perception of a company is based on how socially responsible they are. When we think of “social responsibility” many of us think of TOMS “one for one” shoe donation initiative, but they’re not the only ones! Here are just five of the many companies doing their part to benefit a cause.

1. Warby Parker

By purchasing one pair of glasses from this socially conscious business, one pair is donated to men, women, and children around the world who cannot afford a pair of their own. There are currently over 703 million people currently living without access to eyewear, which hinders their ability to effectively learn and work. Warby Parker believes in selling high-quality glasses that are reasonably priced, while giving back to those in need. “Good eyewear, good outcome”. It’s that simple!

2. Sevenly

Each purchase of merchandise on this website results in a $7 donation to the featured charity of the week. Most of the clothes sold are exclusive and limited edition products. Unlike your Forever 21 blouse, these style finds are one-of-a-kind! Join the generation of generosity and their “People Matter” movement asap!

3. Alex & Ani

OKAY, we all know Alex & Ani are known for their handcrafted products manufactured here in American and specifically designed to be environmentally conscious, but did you know about their Charity By Design? By purchasing one of their bracelets connected to a charity, 20% of the proceeds will go to organizations including the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Stand Up 2 Cancer, Toys for Tots, the ASPCA and many more! It’s a win-win!

4. Purpose Jewelry

No outfit is ever complete without a little bling! That’s where Purpose Jewelry becomes your BFF. Not only are they fashionable, they are also handcrafted by survivors of modernday slavery. 100% of the proceeds go to caring for women rescued from sex trafficking by providing education, medical care, and scholarships to help guide them to a positive and empowering future.

5. United by Blue

Founded in 2010, United by Blue is an outdoor apparel brand with a clear environmental connection. With each product sold, the UBB will remove one pound of trash from oceans and waterways through planned cleanups. Even Subaru has partnered up with this company to share the burden of cleaning up our waterways from tons of trash significantly damaging the environment.

Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.