This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

With the challenges of the current pandemic and remote learning, it is easy to fall into stress and anxiety. While there are countless ways to deal with stress, aromatherapy provides natural and fragrant healing to one’s emotional and physical health. Aromatherapy is a treatment that uses essential oils from natural plant extracts for therapeutic benefits. This article will explore the benefits of aroma, the best natural scents, and the diverse forms of aromatherapy. 

According to Medical News Today, aromatherapy is considered to be a complementary therapy–it does not provide a cure to an illness but it provides conventional treatment for various conditions. It reduces stress and depression but also alleviates fatigue, menstrual health problems and even headaches. So, when dealing with physical and or psychological conditions, aromatherapy can support one’s well being all through scent.

With hundreds of plant types and various natural essences, you may then wonder which scents are the best for aromatherapy. Different types of scents have distinct benefits and soothing effects. Both lavender and jasmine have calming aspects and can control stress, depression and nerves–they work to relieve tension and uplift energy. Lemon also eases our anxiousness and anger but most importantly it boosts our immune system and body circulation–a perfect remedy to help with a cold or sore throat. For some morning ritual scent, rosemary not only fights off fatigue and headaches but it allows for improved memory retention (rosemary can be helpful after having all-nighters). Peppermint is another alternative when wanting to feel relaxed or invigorated with its fresh, powerful scent.

Just as there are several great benefits and scents, there are also a variety of forms of aromatherapy. The most popular ones include diffusers, body oils and lotions, scented candles, facial steamers, and more. These make great investments, especially since we are spending more time inside home and need a fresh breath of air. 

Aromatherapy is a healing practice but it can also be a pleasant and exhilarating experience, especially when exploring your personal fragrance. Whether it is whiffing through perfume samples or through the scented candle aisle or even smelling the fresh air of nature, our sense of smell can enhance our wellbeing. 

Lauren Kim is a Los Angeles native and a senior at the University of San Diego. She is currently a Communication major and a Business minor. Being in college, Lauren has a growing enthusiasm for marketing and branding. In her free time, she enjoys going to concerts, documenting food adventures on her foodie Instagram account, watching movies, and exploring the city.
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.