Discovering Real Love: A New Perspective on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

The day has finally arrive, the one when big name stores are stocked full of chocolates and flowers and the streets are decked out in red and pink hearts. That day is Valentine’s Day, of course. To some, it’s a wonderful holiday filled with lovely gifts, greeting cards, and romance, but to others, it’s nothing but S.A.D (Single’s Awareness Day). With this being the case, this wonderful and happy day has often been turned to nothing but self-centered negativity and sadness. It has become a celebration of people curling up in their blankets with comfort food and wallowing within their hollow chocolate hearts. The reality is that there will be several single people this upcoming holiday, and truthfully, that in itself makes people take this great celebration of love lightly. So much, in fact, that it practically becomes non-existent in their hearts. I’ve known many people that harbor true hate for this day, all because they don’t have a significant other with which to share it.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Valentine’s Day beats Black Friday when it comes to selfish ambition. It has become a holiday that many people treat with indifference, primarily because they have no romantic interest to shower them in love and/or flowers. People want love. We’re wired to desire someone to reach out to us, to love us. But have we ever considered that the reason so many dislike Valentine’s Day is because we haven’t given enough time and effort to celebrate those you love? It truly pains me to hear someone say that they hate this holiday (mainly because it is my favorite). In all honesty, this will be my first opportunity to ever share this lovely day with a precious and valuable significant other. But even through my years of being single, it has still reigned as the best rated holiday in my heart.

Why, you may ask?

Because, in my opinion, Valentine’s Day is a day for love of all kinds. This means that it is a day when you wholly and selflessly love someone in your life, whether it be your pet rabbit, your mom, or your best friend. This day is a specific time to put yourself aside and pour affection into someone else. It is a day to celebrate someone that you love every other day of the year. It is a day to selflessly act on those emotions that you may not otherwise have time to express.

Love is a strong and beautiful emotion that we as humans feel with a strong and unforgettable intensity. It’s something that many people only associate with romance, but that’s not true. You can love a variety of things and people- this includes your job, your future career, your best friend, your parents, your pets, and even yourself. So this Valentine’s Day, I encourage you to step out and give your love and kindness to someone. Let them know you love them, whether that means just sitting with your mom and watching her favorite movie, or buying your best friend a bracelet. Just let them know you care. We only have one life to live, so let this day be a day that you actively think of how to please someone else. Step outside the box and allow yourself to love whole-heartedly. I promise you won’t regret it, and you may even learn something about yourself that you never knew before. So happy Valentine’s Day, collegiettes, and may your heart be filled with love, kindness, and hopefully some chocolate!