This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

NameCarolyn Chow

Major/Minor: Economics/Business and Accounting

YearJunior

How would you describe your style?  It’s actually very hard to describe since my style changes from time to time, and it’s so hard for me to just stick with one particular style! Recently I’ve been into the “sporty-chic” style- sports jerseys, loose black pants and Nikes. I also like to dress very boho, which is a perfect springtime style!

Describe what you are wearing (in the photo). I am wearing an ASOS tie-dye dress. This dress is really loose-fitting and flowy so I added a leather belt from Urban Outfitters. To finish off this look, I am wearing white gladiator sandals from ASOS. For accessories, I’m wearing my gold Cartier love bracelet that was a gift from my dad!

What is your favorite piece of an outfit? Shoes! It’s such a typical thing for a girl to love shoes, but I think a cute pair of shoes will make an outfit even cuter! It’s the first thing that pops out to me when I look at someone’s outfit. Remember, you can never have too many pairs of shoes!

What are some things you do for fashion?  I started posting pictures of my outfits on Instagram a few months ago, but I am thinking about starting up a blog soon! I love fashion, art, and photography, so it is something I am interested in pursuing in the future. I actually wanted to be a graphic designer in high school, so I still do a lot of graphic shirt designs for fun. I am also the brand ambassador for ASOS and swank & Haight on campus, so I work closely with these brands and help to promote their styles!

Where do you like to shop the most?  It is so hard for me to save money because every time I get my paycheck, I spend it on clothes within 2 days. I tend to online shop a lot, and NastyGal is definitely my favorite! I love Urban Outfitters, too, but every time I go there, my wallet gets a lot lighter. 

Who is your favorite designer? I don’t own a lot of designer anything! #collegestudentproblem, haha! But if I had to choose, it would have to be Marc by Marc Jacobs. Their bags are always really cute and not as expensive compared to other designers, and their leather strap watch has been on my wishlist for some time now.

What is your favorite piece of clothing? Oversized plaid shirts! There are so many ways you can style up a flannel. I love browsing the men’s section for flannels because I love it when they fit loose and comfy. You can layer them, wear it as a shirt, wear it under a sweater, unbutton it…the possibilities are endless! My favorite way to style it is to tie my flannel around my waist for a grunge-y look!  

Is there a specific piece of clothing that you have been dying to get?  I’ve been secretly wanting Birkenstock sandals for a while. You know, the Jesus-style sandals that are so ugly that they’re so cute? They just look so comfortable and I think it’s something I can wear when I’m too lazy to dress up!

Who are some people you look up to? My favorite fashionistas would have to be ‘imjennim’ and ‘lustforlife.’ I draw a lot of inspiration from fashion bloggers and I wish that I could trade closets with them! I follow a lot of random girls on Instagram just to see how other people style their clothes!

What is your favorite song at the moment? “Latch” by Disclosure! I’ve been in love with Disclosure since Coachella; take me back please!

Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.