This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner and, though people are finally able to start going out to parties again, there is still time to watch some of those classic spooky season movies before October comes to an end.

One of the most important factors in choosing what to watch, especially with such limited time, is the vibe for which you’re looking. So, here’s a breakdown of the best spooky season movies based on your mood.

For a teen thriller vibe:

Scream

Arguably one of the best scary movies out there, Scream is the ultimate go-to if you’re looking for a thrill but not an outright horror flick. This movie will keep you on the edge of your seat and make you laugh a bit along the way as well. Plus, who doesn’t love to watch brutal teen murders?

I Know What You Did Last Summer

I finally got around to watching this movie for the first time last year, and I must admit it exceeded my expectations. Though it doesn’t provide the same level of Halloween vibes that Scream does, I Know What You Did Last Summer is loaded with mystery and thrill. And once again, brutal teen murders!

For a classic horror vibe:

Halloween

Do I even have to explain this one? The reason is right there in the title. Not only is this movie a total classic (1978?!) and full of jump scares, but it’s also actually centered around Halloween (A.K.A. the holiday that we’re all living for right now).

The Shining

Though this film isn’t about Halloween, it’s one of the most classic horror films ever made and, for being over thirty-years-old, it surprisingly holds up. Most old scary movies don’t quite retain their original level of horror, but The Shining’s genius is that it uses suspense and build-up (rather than costumes and jump scares) to terrify the life out of you. I recommend watching it alone in a dark hotel room.

For a spooky Fall vibe:

Sleepy Hollow

I hadn’t seen this movie in years, and when I watched it the other night I was delightfully surprised. Sleepy Hollow is packed with spooky vibes, from the film’s overall aesthetic to its actual story. Even having this movie on in the background makes it instantly feel like spooky season. And a bonus movie to follow this one up with: The Adventures of Ichabod.

The Craft

I don’t know about you, but I love movies and shows about witches, and The Craft is probably the ultimate witch movie. It has everything from covens and dark magic to teen drama. And, of course, it’s chock full of spooky vibes.

For a fun throwback vibe:

Halloweentown

Moment of truth: this is probably my favorite Halloween movie of all time. It may partially be nostalgia that puts Halloweentown at the top of my list, but it’s also because of the movie’s utter love for Halloween (and, of course, the fact that it’s about a family of witches). Get ready for some 90s outfits, Disney humor and adolescent heroism!

Hocus Pocus

Another one of the classic children’s Halloween movies, Hocus Pocus deals with the struggle of moving to a new town as a teenager, made even more difficult when you factor in the evil witches and talking cats. And have no fear, it still features 90s outfits, Disney humor and adolescent heroism!

Twitches

I had to include a third in this category because I couldn’t leave any of these out. If you didn’t grow up watching Twitches and you love movies about witches, drop everything you’re doing right now and go watch it! This movie is fun and sweet and will make you wish you were a witch. Also, if you’re looking for something witchy but aren’t really into horror, this is the perfect place to start. It’s much more mellow than The Craft!

Now take a break from all those midterms and get cracking on this list! And don’t forget to carve a pumpkin and make some cookies too. You deserve some relaxation and fun.

Third year at UC San Diego. Communication major with a passion for writing and film. Also loves food, fashion and travel.