4 Girl Bands You Need to Hear Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Some say that it’s “a man’s world” out there, even and especially in the indie rock/rock music world. Since it’s true that most bands out there are generally made up of men, I am here to show you some cool girl bands I love and think you need to hear!

HAIM

You probably have heard of this little band from Los Angeles by now. The sister trio gives you many reasons to tap your foot, move your hips, or simply sing along to their catchy tunes about love and heartbreak (lightheartedly). Unlike artists who should be reserved for crying (Adele), these songs have lyrics strong enough to get you through tough times, but they’re light and fun enough to help you brush your troubles away.

• Songs to check out: “Don’t Save Me” & “The Wire”
  • Listen when: Anytime. Their album is great. Listen to it while running, doing chores, studying, or whenever!

The Jezabels

Though this band is technically not an all-girl band, the lead singer adds amazing vocals, so I just had to include them on this list. For those indie rock fans out there, this is band is an absolute must. Their music will make you want to start your own band or, at the very least, make you rhythmically nod your head. Their new album The Brink recently came out.

• Songs to check out: “Sahara Mahala” & “Look of Love”
  • Listen when: You need a touch of synthesizer to your day.

Uh Huh Her

If you are searching for something mellow/synthetic pop/indie/new wave, this is the band for you! The duo sings great songs shrouded in a pinch of 90s nostalgia. This band is very underrated; since moving to an independent label in 2011, they have not received the attention they rightfully deserve. Their new album, Future Souls comes out March 25th, 2014.

• Songs to check out: “Marstorm” & “Say So”
  • Listen when: This one’s up to you! 

Dum Dum Girls

These girls are amazing and so retro that they are fresh; even their name, a homage to The Vaselines and Iggy Pop, is cool.  Most of their songs are really upbeat and fun. These are perfect for going to the beach while, achem ‘studying.’ These girls also have a new album, Too True—go get it, trust me! 

• Songs to check out: “Jail La La” & “Bedroom Eyes”
  • Listen when: You need to channel your inner 1960s mod persona.

There you have it! These girl bands are perfect for when you are interested in hearing other women sing about the world the way we see it! If happen to be a guy, however, this list will help broaden your perspective and increase your music collection, as well. It’s so nice to see women take on the rock/indie/electronica scene!