This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Being an older sibling has its ups and downs. Some days you want to pull your hair out, other days you want a shoulder to cry on. Nonetheless, having a sister means having a lifelong best friend who will always be there no matter what. I mean let’s face it they have seen you at your best and worst times. If you are an older sister, I understand you and I hear you. Here are 10 things only older sisters will understand.

1. You have to set a good example… whatever that means

2. You are expected to take care of them, even when they can take care of themselves

3. They can get away with anything, even though you couldn’t

4. You feel obligated to protect them and make sure they stay out of trouble 

5. Sometimes you wish what life was like before having a little sister, but admit it life would be pretty boring 

6. You are constantly arguing… and making up

7. You are their personal Uber driver, but the minute you turn 21 the roles are reversed

8. Having to figure out everything for yourself and then helping them because you are the oldest

9. They always tells you the truth even if it may hurt 

10. You’ll do anything for each other 

Regardless of all the constant fights, laughs, smiles and tears I do not know what I would do without my sister. She is my forever friend and I am lucky to have her by my side through this crazy journey we call life. 

First generation Assyrian woman who is a California native. After living in NorCal all her life, she currently resides in SoCal attending UC San Diego as a Communications major in pursuit of a Bachelors Degree. Her goal is to eventually receive a Masters Degree in Broadcast Journalism and land her dream job as a News Anchor. Her interests include fitness, makeup, music, social media and video production. Follow Mary on instagram (@marymikaili).