Wacky Holidays to Celebrate in January

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

Besides New Years Day and Martin Luther King Jr. Day, there aren’t many notable holidays in January to look forward to. Spice up your January and kick off the year with these fun, silly holidays to celebrate all throughout the month!

Jan 1: Z Day

Eat some zucchini, dream of zebras, and zoom with friends to honor the letter ‘z’ on this day. Watch Zooey Deschanel in New Girl, decorate your school notes with zig-zags in the margins, and relax to find some much-needed zen to start the month off right. 

Jan 4: Trivia Day

POV: You’re a Jeopardy contestant and today is your day to play! Answer some fun trivia questions alone or with friends and family to test your inner brainiac.

Jan 6: Cuddle Up Day

Get cozy and cuddle up with a significant other, pet, or alone with a good book indoors and out of the chilly weather. Grab a soft blanket and your warm beverage of choice to commemorate this comforting day. 

Jan 7: Old Rock Day

Calling all rock enthusiasts! Now’s the time to explore and find cool rocks to bring home to be your next pet rock. Feel free to paint your new rock friends and add googly-eyes for some flair!

Jan 10: Houseplant Appreciation Day

Embrace your inner plant parent and care for your plant child as you stare at them in admiration. Change their water or pot but be sure to show them some love all day long!

Jan 12: National Hot Tea Day

Step aside, coffee enthusiasts. It’s tea time! Grab your favorite mug and enjoy your tea of choice alone or with friends over a zoom tea party.

Jan 15: National Hat Day

Unveil bucket hats, beanies, and fedoras galore as you flaunt your impeccable sense of style all day. Match different hats to different outfits and possibly hide a bad hair day. 

Jan 19: National Popcorn Day

Kick back with a good movie and become a pseudo-chef when preparing your popcorn feast. Add some butter, caramel, or any other topping of choice to add flavor to the day!

Jan 20: National Cheese Lover Day

Brie, cheddar, mozzarella, oh my! Eat some cheese while preparing your Pinterest-worthy charcuterie boards. Hopefully celebrating this day isn’t too cheesy for you!

Jan 21: Squirrel Appreciation Day

Blow kisses to your local squirrels and grab a pair of binoculars to watch these adorable creatures scamper about and live their best lives.

Jan 23: National Handwriting Day

Remember the days before you were glued to a screen and procure a pen and paper to practice handwriting worthy of your bullet journal. If you’re feeling crazy, you can even dabble in calligraphy!

Jan 24: National Compliment Day

Spread positivity and compliment someone today! Challenge yourself by giving out as many compliments as you can today to show your appreciation for those around you. Whether it be in person, through text, or over zoom, show your family and friends your appreciation for them!

Howdy! I'm Jackie, and I'm a third-year History and Politics double major and Education minor at UCSC. I'm also the Events Director of HerCampus at UCSC. In my free time, I enjoy reading, knitting, listening to 80's music, and squirrel-watching!