The One With The Bandwagon of Hate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

If you’ve lived to any extent on the grid since 1994, then chances are you recognize the names Ross, Rachel, Chandler, Monica, Joey and Phoebe. A show so iconic that its theme song elicits synchronized clapping choreography across America, Friends represented Generation X’s navigation through adulthood with its whitty, outlandish situational humor. Quickly skyrocketing to the sitcom hall of fame, audiences of all ages fell in love with the six friends… or did they? 

Much to the astonishment of Millenials everywhere, turns out Gen Z has decided that liking Friends is lame. That’s right, you could be judged for enjoying one of the top TV shows of all time! Not that it should stop you. 

I have no problem with people pointing out some of the major flaws in the show because—let’s be honest—there are a TON. It’s financially unrealistic, not representative of New York’s diverse population, the characters are all pretty unlikeable, and then there’s the Ross of it all. But the thing is, people don’t point any of those things out when they express their dislike of the show. It usually comes down to this statement: Friends wasn’t funny. 

In an attempt to present their humor as “better than” modern Friends watchers, coincidentally often high school aged females, people swear that there were no redeeming comedic qualities about the show. Even Mr. Controversy himself, Kanye West, weighed in on the matter after getting his feelings hurt when Jennifer Aniston said that voting for him in the U.S. presidential election could be harmful to the process, tweeting “Friends isn’t funny either.” Hot take, Kanye. 

There’s nothing wrong with not liking Friends, but why does it need to be a marker of one’s “coolness” level? Can’t people enjoy anything mainstream nowadays? Liking the show isn’t this huge statement, so not liking it shouldn’t be one either. If it doesn’t make you laugh, then don’t watch it. There’s a simple way to save yourself the torture of watching one of the highest grossing sitcoms in history. 

There are undoubtedly problems with the show, especially with the representation of any characters that didn’t fall into the category of “straight, white, skinny, attractive person.” If those are your reasons for not liking the show, then they are more than valid. But, jumping on the “not like the other…” bandwagon to declare your opinions as better than a bunch of high school girls and millennials is a weak take at best. Deeming someone’s nostalgic mindless-TV default as a marker of how lame they are is so boring. If you’re going to Tweet about it, at least offer an original critique. Be more interesting than Kanye!

Serena is a student at UCSC pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Literature with a love for creativity, storytelling, and learning.