This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

Dear reader,

On Tuesday, May 31st, HerCampus UCSC had a celebratory potluck and final meeting of the year on OPERS field. It was the largest attendance we’ve had for awhile, with both brand new and returning friends. We enjoyed a feast of diet Coke, homemade lasagna, madeleines, and Trader Joe’s potato chips. Alexa and I engaged in a riveting conversation about Love Island UK and we all were truly vibing on that field. The food, the conversations, and the people were all amazing and it’s going to be a memory I cherish forever.

I, as Events and Publicity Director, planned the event (which, to be honest, was less planning and more sending out a Google Sheets to sign up for food) and heavily encouraged the seniors to give a speech. The only seniors being the 4 out of the 6 executive board members, myself included. I did not prepare my speech and still nearly cried so that was fun. Then we went on to have a normal pitch meeting, giving me a bit of whiplash after the emotional speeches. Wanting to have a happy end to my HerCampus career, I volunteered to write an article about the potluck and our last meeting. To end the article, I’ll paraphrase my senior speech somewhat:

I joined HerCampus spring quarter of last year because it sounded fun; at that time in my life, I really needed something fun that was purely for enjoyment. In the year and some months I’ve been a part of this community, I have become a better writer and public speaker. I have created and strengthened friendships that I know will last a lifetime.

If you are reading this article and think, “hey, maybe I would like this,” DO IT. I promise you will have the most amazing time. I have written fun articles like “A Crash Course in Greek Mythology,” to more reflective pieces like “The Reality of a Spring Quarter Graduate.” HerCampus is a place for everyone and I can’t wait to see where it goes after I leave.

With much love,

Elise

Hi y'all! I'm Elise and I'm a History and Politics double major and Classical Studies minor. When I'm not holed up in the library, I love to hike, journal, make coffee, and wander through museums.