Wellness

Your One-Stop Shop Guide to Autumn Produce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

With the ushering in of the Fall season and Fall Quarter officially underway, you might be searching for something new to satisfy your autumnal tastebuds besides the usual pumpkin-spice flavored varieties. While the sweet earthiness of pumpkin paired with cinnamon and nutmeg is surely the iconic Autumn palette, pumpkin is not the only seasonal produce that Autumn’s bounty has to offer. With Fall comes a variety of melons, squashes, and citruses accompanied by a range of hearty and herbaceous flavors.

So, in celebration of the start of a full-filling Fall quarter, here is a one-stop guide to Autumn produce for UCSB students!

Keep in mind that seasonal produce will vary by region, month, and local availability. For a full comprehensive guide on seasonal produce in the United States, visit seasonalfoodguide.org to find which fruits, vegetables, herbs, and nuts are readily available for you!

Fruits

• Apples
  • Asian Pears
  • Avocados
  • Cantoloupe
  • Citrus
  • Corn
  • Dates
  • Figs
  • Grapes
  • Guava
  • Kiwi
  • Lemons
  • Limes
  • Longan
  • Melons
  • Passionfruit
  • Peaches
  • Pears
  • Peppers
  • Persimmons
  • Pumpkin
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Summer Squash
  • Tomatillos
  • Tomatos
  • Watermelon
  • Winter Squash
  • Zucchini

Vegetables

• Beets
  • Bok Choy
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Cauliflower
  • Celery
  • Chives
  • Corn
  • Cucumbers
  • Edamame
  • Eggplant
  • Green Beans
  • Green Onions
  • Lettuce
  • Okra
  • Onions
  • Potatoes
  • Radishes
  • Spinach
  • Sweet Potatoes

Herbs

• Basil
  • Cilantro
  • Lemongrass
  • Mint
  • Oregano
  • Parsley
  • Rosemary
  • Sage
  • Tarragon
  • Thyme

Nuts

• Pecans
  • Pistachios

Now that you know what is in season, where can you stock up your fridge and pantry with these fruits, vegetables, herbs, and nuts? 

Purchasing produce that are locally grown helps to sustain local farms and stimulate the local economy. The Santa Barbara Certified Farmers Market Association (SBCFMA) brings a plentiful array of locally grown seasonal produce to the general public at their weekly farmers markets. I can personally attest to the quality of their oranges (which are currently in season!) being the sweetest, juiciest oranges I have ever tasted. The most accessible farmers markets for UCSB students are hosted in Goleta and Downtown Santa Barbara every weekend. 

Downtown Santa Barbara Farmers Market: Saturday, 8 am – 1 pm

119 E. Cota St., Santa Barbara, CA

Goleta Farmers Market: Sunday, 10 am – 2 pm

Camino Real Marketplace, 7004 Marketplace Dr., Goleta, CA

SBCFMA additionally accepts CalFresh EBT for fresh fruits and vegetables, and will match the first $10 you spend in tokens per market day. If you cannot make it to the farmers market during the weekends, SBCFMA also partners with the Santa Barbara Foodbank program, and your favorite local grocery stores should be stocked up with seasonal produce as well!

Choosing to eat seasonally will not only bring fresher and tastier produce to your table, but is is also more nutritious and nourishing for our bodies to consume by the season. 

Hi, I'm Kaitlyn! I'm an English major at UCSB with a specialization in Lit and Mind that involves the psychological, philosophical, and psychoanalytical analysis of literature. When I'm not reading, I love to play RPGs, visit museums, and try out new recipes. I'm so excited to contribute to UCSB's HC platform by provoking conversations about issues I am deeply passionate about such as mental health, xenophobia, and gender equality.