Your Excruciating Cramps Aren’t Normal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

When I was a teenager, whenever I would get my period, I never got cramps. I thought I was just lucky, until I was about 20 years old. I started getting cramps, and pretty quickly they became really bad cramps. I would be bedridden for days, heating pad on my stomach, taking much more than the prescribed dosage of ibuprofen, anything to take away my pain. I thought to myself, is this normal? I asked my doctor and she simply told me that some women get really bad cramps. I accepted that, though I was disappointed that I was one of those women.

One day, I was eating lunch at home, not on my time of the month, when I started feeling cramps in my abdomen. They came on suddenly and were intense so I had to lay down. Very quickly they became so intense that I had to jump into the bath, in hopes that the hot water would help with the pain. The pain got even worse, so bad that I struggled to get out of the tub. By the time I made it to my bedroom I was screaming out in pain. To this day, it was the worst pain that I have ever felt in my life. My mom was there and called an ambulance. They gave me morphine in the ambulance, but it still didn’t take away the pain. A few hours after getting to the hospital, the pain finally started to fade away, because by this time I was on a lot of different medications. The doctor came in and told me that they didn’t know what caused the pain and that it may have been a fluke.

Image via GIPHY

Not knowing if that horrifying pain would happen again, I was scared. I visited my primary care doctor, who again, didn’t give me any answers. At the time, my sister had just had a baby and really liked her gynecologist, so I went to see her. I had never seen a gynecologist before so I was a bit nervous but I wanted her advice. I went in and told the doctor my story, she then examined me and felt my stomach. She sent me in for an ultrasound and then called me about a week later with the results. She said that I had Endometriosis, along with a massive endometrioma (a cyst) on my ovary that needed to be removed through surgery. I was honestly happy to be diagnosed and not have to wonder what was wrong with me anymore.

Since my diagnosis, I have had four surgeries to remove ovarian cysts. I have also lost both of my fallopian tubes. My doctor said my uterus is okay and that I can still have children, but only through in-vitro fertilization (IVF). I now manage my pain by taking birth control pills that manage my estrogen levels. I also regularly see my doctor. She has told me that my cysts will likely continue to grow back until I am done having children and can get a full hysterectomy to remove my ovaries and uterus all together.

It’s important for me to share my story about endometriosis because it’s not uncommon. Many women in their childbearing years have it and a lot of them don’t know it. Unfortunately, it’s hard for doctors to catch, but once you are diagnosed they can help you manage the pain and possibly save your reproductive organs. You know your own body, and you know when something is not right. Debilitating cramps are not normal. If you have cramps or other symptoms that seem off to you, discuss it with your doctor.

Image Via GIPHY

What is Endometriosis?

According to Mayo Clinic, Endometriosis is a painful disorder where tissue that typically grows inside the uterus, grows outside the uterus, usually on ovaries, fallopian tubes, and tissue surrounding the pelvis. When endometrial tissue gets displaced, it still behaves as it would inside the uterus. It thickens, breaks down, and bleeds with the menstrual cycle, but because the tissue and blood has nowhere to go, it becomes trapped and cysts can form. Endometriosis can cause severe pain, especially during your period.

Image via GIPHY

What are the Symptoms?

Painful periods, pain with sex, painful bowel movements or urination, and excessive bleeding or bleeding between periods.

Image via GIPHY  

Do you have Endo? What can you do?

Visit a gynecologist. Even if you aren’t sexually active, it’s always good to get examined. A general check-up at a women’s health office or clinic is usually free or low-cost and could save you from suffering in the future.

Image via GIPHY

Resources. For more information visit https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/endometriosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20354656

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)