This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Anne With An E is a Netflix series that first aired in 2017 and its third and last season was released in 2020. The show is an adaptation of the classic Anne of Green Gables novel by Lucy Maud Montgomery. This sentimental series is dear to many, so when the news of its cancellation after its’ third season was released, fans flooded Netflix’s socials with comments like “Bring back ‘Anne With an E’” and “Anne With an E Season 4”!

What makes this series so important to many? I don’t usually hear people talking about Anne With An E very often in real life. It’s not as glamorous or action-filled as many of today’s shows are. It has more of a kind lens on many important aspects of life. Everyone on Netflix should watch this series and let Anne Shirley-Cuthbert remind you what it’s like to be beautifully different.

Context and Setting

Anne Shirley is an orphan in the 1890s who is mistakenly taken in for a boy at Green Gables, where siblings Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert live. At first, they are hesitant to keep Anne due to her gender, but her imaginative charm and big heart win both Matthew and Marilla over individually and inherits their last name. The series follows Anne’s adventures in this new place. She makes many mistakes while learning how to socialize and adapt to family living, but she still keeps her wits about her. Everyone grows to love Anne, and she eventually becomes a hallmark of her community.

What many love about the series is the awe-inspiring nature of Prince Edward Island, Canada, where Green Gables lies. The viewers can see the change of seasons through the turning of leaf colors as Anne walks through the forest to get to school or her writing hideout. The scenic nature of the series emphasizes Anne’s intimate connection to her surroundings.

Anne Shirley-Cuthbert as a Character

Anne Shirley is a “kindred spirit,” which is what she describes as an extraordinary friend. Her vibrant personality is what makes her such a charming character. She embraces her unique features and says that unique “means singular and extraordinary.” She is curious and independent, intelligent and imaginative.

She struggles through socialization, academics, and family life but is insistent on succeeding while staying true to her character. Like many girls, she struggles with her appearance and mentions how her freckles and red hair are the bane of her existence. She often embarrasses herself or the people around her. So, in short, she is human! With examples like these, it is easy for the audience to sympathize with and understand the simple hardships of adolescence.

What people love the most about Anne is how she expresses her poetic love for the world around her and other people. You can feel how big her heart is and can relate to her large dreams and excited wonder. She is a kind soul and a “kindred spirit” not just to her best friend, Diana Berry, but to the audience as well.

Why People Connect With The Show

People connect with this show because of the dynamic and wholesome characters. I found that I could mostly connect with all of the main and supporting characters. It is such a soft, but at times, painfully realistic encapsulation of friendships, dreams, and humanity. It shows how being unique is difficult when the world isn’t always as open at first.

The best we can all do in life is enjoy our experiences and express our love for the beauty we see in other people. Anne With An E will remind you of all that you are thankful for in your own life. One of the most famous lines from the show is, “How I love being a woman!,” and I wholeheartedly agree. This gem of a series is full of cute slow-burn romance, beautiful examples of girlhood, and reminders of the importance of kindness.

Hello! My name is Ella Bailey and I am a Freshman at UCSB. My pronouns are she/her. I am an English major with an interest in the Arts and Culture. I love painting, visiting museums and coffee shops, and discussing music with my friends. This is my first year as a Her Campus editorial intern, and I am so excited to learn from and be surrounded by other writers and creatives!