This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

“The worst thing someone can say is no!” were the words of advice I heard repeatedly growing up, as told by my mom to sway my personal doubts. Granted this advice was often given in the context of trying out for positions, applying to programs, or things of that sort, it works really well for a lot of situations. One such thing being “shooting your shot,” which means essentially making the first move in pursuing someone you are interested in. Despite this not being the original purpose of the phrase, I now use it frequently when persuading my friends to take a chance and instigate the first contact with someone when it comes to whomever it is they are interested in, whether it be simply messaging them first or asking them out on a date.

Image via Giphy 

Talking to someone you are interested in can be pretty stressful no matter how long you have known them for. The fear of rejection is powerful, but you should not let it limit you. If you are constrained by fear of someone saying no, then you will never let yourself be in a position where someone could say yes to you.

Image via Rebloggy

Shooting your shot can really just be seen as a step to developing a better self-image. As you work to view yourself as capable of taking a chance, and also handling the possible rejection that may come with it, you are really just growing a confident, self-assured view of yourself. That makes shooting your shot much more than just taking a chance; it is recognizing your own value as a person. To take the lead is a method of letting yourself know you are good enough to do so. You are a great person with so much to offer, and that is why you should always take a chance.

Image via Dope & Famous

This is just one single method of taking control of your life, because who doesn’t want that?! By taking initiative and messaging that person first, you are choosing your own path of how the relationship can possibly go. So if you have someone you are interested in, this is your sign. Take a chance and shoot your shot.

Teannae is a second-year political science and environmental studies double from San Diego, California. When she is not trying to figure out how to make her big break into politics you can find her jamming out to her Spotify weekly playlist, drinking overpriced coffee, or responding to long-overdue emails.