Style > Fashion

The Best Fashion Trends Of Fall 2023 Seen At UCSB

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Just because we’re a beach campus doesn’t mean we only wear swimsuits and sandals! Here’s a guide to the best fall fashion trends as seen on campus worn by our fellow classmates!

1. Ribbons, Bows, & more ribbons

Since the start of the academic year, there’s been an abundance of bows and ribbons all over campus. You’ll find they’re most commonly worn in hairstyles like double braids, ponytails, and the classic half-up, half-down. Occasionally, you’ll find a ribbon tied around the belt loop of pair of jeans, as a choker, in place of shoelaces, or even in keychains!

Incorporate it into your style: Play around with new hairstyles like double buns, pigtails, and bubble braids. Feed the ribbons into your hair for a colorful look or keep it classic with a bow tied around the ends of your hair. For a more editorial look, making small bows and attaching them to bobby pins make a great accessory when placed all over the hair and outfit!

The look is up to you — play around with new styles! Incorporate ribbons in places you wouldn’t normally find them!

2. Maxi over mini

Mini and midi skirts are definitely still trending online and on campus, but the maxi skirt is making a comeback. With colder temperatures, it’s no wonder students have been opting for the longer, elegant look. Maxi skirts of all textures and patterns are welcome this fall: denim, lace, cotton, silk, and gingham. However, this fall we’ve seen a comeback of the maxi denim skirt, as worn by influencers and students alike.

The maxi look isn’t just confined to skirts, but also dresses! A sleek maxi dress never goes out of style, especially with all the options UCSB students have been showcasing through their outfits. Patterned maxi dresses are typically preferred by UCSB’s students, adding a unique feeling to their outfits without the use of excessive layering.

Incorporate it into your style: Try out all kinds of patterns and textures for an elevated look. New to trying out maxi skirts? A monotone A-line or denim skirt is perfect for slowly trying out the new length.

3. Ballet flats or kitten heels?

Ballet-core has taken over social media and fashion, with brands like Sandy Liang and Miu Miu guiding the trends. With this new style, new forms of shoes have gotten their time in the spotlight. Flats, also known as ballet flats by many, are used to elevate basic looks. Most famously known for their use of red, Steve Madden’s deep red flats are heavily sought after.

The battle of which shoe represents the fall 2023 season is heavily questioned. Another strong contender is the kitten heel. Repetto went viral for their classic kitten heel, with colors in red, blue, and pink. For a shoe comfier than a full-on heel, the kitten heel is a stylish option that our students wear to classes. Kitten heels of all sizes, colors, and materials are found on campus!

Incorporate it into your style: Although incredibly perfect for fall, Repetto and Steve Madden may be out of your budget. Target has a great dupe to these ballet flats that come in pink, white, black, and many more colors!

4. Funky Ways to accessorize

UCSB students are bold and definitely creative. Normally you’ll see a keychain attached to a backpack or lanyard, but here, they’re seen on belt loops, zippers, and shoelaces.

With it being sunny almost 24/7 here in Santa Barbara, students are seen wearing all styles of sunglasses. This season, Gentle Monster has been bringing incredibly striking frames that cater towards a more industrial and metallic look through their new “Bold” collection.

Incorporate it into your style: Need to elevate your outfit? Try patterned tights! The more colorful, the better! Don’t be afraid to try tights with 3D elements like ribbons, stitching, and beads.

Need more inspiration for the best trends of fall 2023? Look no further than our own campus. UCSB fashion is a great option for more fashion knowledge. This season is full of amazing styles that are easy to incorporate so make some new style changes today!

Hi my name is Lydia Kim and I'm a first-year Economics and Accounting major at UC Santa Barbara. I'm an editorial intern and I enjoy writing, reading, journaling, and going on internet rabbit holes. In the future, I hope to work in marketing and become a creative director.